Loading grass clippings into your truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, May 14, 2002.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

For those of you who must haul away grass clippings from your properties what have you found to be the easiest way to get them loaded into your truck. We have Walkers and we must dump the grass on to the ground and shovel it in by hand. When the grass is wet it leaves a green stain on the road that looks like grass is still there. We've tried dumping on a tarp and throwing that in the back of the truck...but that is much much too heavy.
    Just bought a large pitchfork last week to shovel the grass in...that works ok...but im still looking for a better easier method.
    We also hooked up our leafvac to suck the clippings up...but that didn't quite work all that well either. Just wanted to see how you guys deal with this......

2. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Around here it is all Walkers. Some make ramps from trailer into truck, others have truck loaders mounted to the trailers and simply suck it up and blow it in. I have a unit that bolts into my truck that works with hydraulics. Any way you look at it it is a pain.

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

You could retro fit one of those high lift dump systems.They seem
    to lift pretty high. Should dump into your truck ok,lot faster too.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just dump them onto a tarp, and lift the whole tarp up when it starts reaching the point of being too heavy. Quick, and easy.

5. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I bought 2 50 gallon containers from wal mart, I but them side by side and dump into them, it seprates the load and makes it easier to lift...If I ever find the time Im going to build a ramp from the trailer to the truck...or you could hire a 300LBS. brute to work for you that lift a full tarp full.

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hey Pro, there is a thread on this topic that even has a photo or two of someones ramp from the truck into the trailer. I just can't think of the name of the thread. But in the photo, he's backing a Walker up the ramp to dump so you'll be able to see exactly how it's done.

Try searching under "dumping grass" or something like that. Good luck.

7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

a guy with a toro walker lookalike that lives next door uses a shovel to remove the grass when it is full. He just opens the latch and shovels it into his f450 with one of those large plastic shovels. He then uses a broom and shovel to get whats spilled if anything. It takes him less than a min. If you go to walkermower.com and look under walker talk i dont remember what volume it is but they have an article on how people use their walkers and clippings with pics. I think volume 11 or 17 take a look at the site.

8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Just got Turf Magazine for May, 2002, browsing thru page by page after reading your message. Saw ad on page B58 for Load & Go ramps. Check out their website here,

http://www.usaramp.com/saftramp.html

Go to that page, and go down like 3/4 of the way down the page Shows a guy driving a mower from a trailer, right into the back of a pickup. Maybe you can do that tpo dump easier..

Gary

9. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

We don't use riders but we do bag alot of grass. We will usually bag before double cutting on small yards. We just dump it in a pile, grab a drum liner (i think they are 55 gallon), step into it with both feet, hold the top with one hand and use the other to cram the pile of grass into the bag. It is really pretty easy and goes fast. Always dump the pile onto already cut grass. That way after you bag it us just blow the little amount that is left. If it is not a particularly nice yard we leave the bag of grass at the curb, if it is in a neighborhood that we really want more business we throw it in the stakebody.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I do it somethin like this.

wlkrramp.jpg