1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GLC, Feb 25, 2003.

1. GLC

GLC LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Would it b hard for an 18 yr old college student to get a loan for about 2 grand? I don't have a job but I do have a checking account. What else would I need? Thank you!!
  2. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

What are you going to secure the loan with? No job, you would prob need a co-signer.
  3. nu83

nu83 LawnSite Member
    from omaha

Probably, but it all depends on your (taxed) income the previous year and what your credit history is. You will most likely have to get a cosigner for an unsecured loan. Try the bank you have the checking account with first, but be prepared to apply at a few banks. All banks have different policy's and some banks just want to loan money more than others so they will take bigger risks. If you have a newer model car some banks will take it as collateral.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Loans are simple, answer these 3 questions:

What's your credit score?
    This is a number between 400-900 that everyone has and you should know it.

What's your reported, verifiable income?

What's your collateral?
  5. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

This may be dicey if your not careful and diligent, but you probably can get this amount on a credit card. The interest rates will be almost criminal but you may be eligible. If you can structure yourself to pay it back asap, with out being late or missing a payment, this is the start of developing good credit.
    Good Luck
  6. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

My brother, now 20, got a loan last year ( when he was 19 ) for just around that amount. However, he has a good job.

Whenever Ive applied for credit, or a loan, it seems that more than once they have asked if i have a job, and how long. If memory serves me correctly, 2 years was the minimum for them to even consider doing business with me.
  7. Doburf@cs.com

Doburf@cs.com LawnSite Member
    from WV

If you are trying for a personal loan it would be hard, but you can always check with your school to see if they have any loan arrangements with a financial institution in your area for its students.

If you are trying to secure a loan for your business... you can use your business plan to show how you will spend the money and how you will repay. ;)