1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Loaner, keep or take back?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shorty7616, Mar 25, 2005.

1. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I have an ongoing saga with my dealer.

anyway, would you keep the loaner until your mower was done- which is going on 6 weeks, Or would you take it back at the end of each week, only to pick it up a few days later?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I personally would take it back to make a point
  3. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I personally would keep it. Why should you be inconvenienced?
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had a loaner for my Skag Turf runner for 8 years now...Too bad the runner is dead as a mower.
  5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

Are they paying for your fuel costs to go back and forth from the dealer, along with the wear and tear on your truck/trailer. If they question you as to why the mower is not returned every weekend I would let them know your position. If they do not understand then I would advise them that you work seven days a week (since nobody will be reimbersing you for you above expenses.) Good luck to you.
  6. shorty7616

I don't want these idiots to try to blame something on me once the loaner is taken back. Part of the engine shroud already broke off.

Currently, they want it back by 12:00 saturday, or Monday morning. I then call on Wednesday to get the mower scheduled again. I then pick up the mower on Thursday, they have to go find it. Which means moving around half the inventory.

These guys are class acts
  7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

Well you should take it back, I can see your point on keeping it but I wouldnt give these guys any leverage on you. They might slap you with rental fees or something that will just esculate the situation. Me personally I would demand my mower back, take it to someone else even if I had to pay for the repair and let exmark be aware of the problem you had with the dealer and see if you can get reimbursement from them, if not let them know they are losing a customer due to poor dealer support.
  8. shorty7616

They don't even rent mowers out, this is for people thinking about buying one or for people like me. I mow 4 days a week, why should I have to check in with them every 4 days.

I'm going to keep it, and then maybe they'll become a little more active about getting my part in.
  9. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

My 48 Encore went in on a fuel related problem and I was loaned a 52 Stander for 2 weeks. After the 2 weeks I called and he informed they were backed up and it was going to be a while. I said no problem. I was getting things done faster anyway with the stander. A month and half later he called to say it was done! I took the brand new stander back with 250 hours on it and picked up my mower. No skin off my back :)
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, thats a lot of hours for 1 1/2 months. Is this the only machine you used?? Thats 40+ hours per week of actual time for the engine. Did you leave it running from the begining of the day til you got home, or were you working 6-7 days a week, or just 15 hour days?? ;) HOLY SCHIDT!