local auction

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Nov 20, 2004.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

tommorow a local LCO is having an auction at his biz. hes selling it all, trucks trailers you name it, its being sold. (he's around 45 and is retiring, to travel the country in the nicest camper and truck i've ever seen. one of those international 4 door full size semies, with a fifth wheel hitch for the camper) well anyway hes selling about 15 mowers walkbehinds and standers. all bobcat walkbehinds and great dane standers. I want to but a walk behind but none of them have hour meters on them. heres what hes got (4) 1998 48" bobcats, (3) 1997 48" bobcat walkbehinds, and (2) 1996 48" bobcat walkbehinds. how should i judge what there worth, by the year? all look to be excellently maintained. i might buy a stander if i can get a good deal, but what should i expect to pay by the year. shoot me some ideas :cool2:

(oh yeah there all fixed deck, gear drive)
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt pay over a 800 for any of them, those are old mowers, no matter what condition they are in they are still over 4 years old.
  3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

thanks packerbacker anyone else have any comments :waving:
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

As an average only, normal Auctions bring in about 30% of the current resale price of most items, but commerical equipment could very well go higher. In an auction you really base the price on two things, what the "normal" used resale price is for the condition of that piece and then what you are willing to pay. You should be able, unless there are a lot of resalers or other LCO's there to get a decent price. Make sure you test whatever you bid on prior to bidding cause once you buy it at an auction it is yours no matter what.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Have you thought about calling up the guy and talking to him about them. Ask them what has been done with them in regards to maintenance, repair, etc.
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I wouldn't go over $800 for any of them either.