1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local codes

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Allen's LS, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I am asking this to you mainly because you are a local guy. I don't install irrigation systems but would like to learn. But I do repair a lot of them on many of my accounts. Anyway, one of our condo associations had some work done where they had to dig up 30' of a straight run. But now they want to know what code is for depth when they (I) put it back in the ground. Do you know what it is, or where I can find local codes for Irrigation?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I don't see anything much in the way of codes for the actual irrigation part of the job. This follows by having proper backflow prevention in place (toxic-rated backflow protection in these parts) - Once the water supply is protected from the system, then what the hey, go nuts. (to paraphrase one local plumbing inspector)
  3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Wet Boots is right. Codes for irrigation are backflow regs.
  4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

There is no depth code in WA for irrigation water. Backflow codes vary from county to county.

My general rule of thumb is 10' for 1.25 inch and smaller and 12' for 1.5 inch and larger.

Apparently there is some sort of code for the low voltage wiring, because we have had our wiring flagged by an inspector that was there to inspect a power ditch once. Never did find out what he wanted.
  5. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Wow Jon...you go pretty deep. I'm sure 10 feet is overkill. J/K

I know you meant inches.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

No, I really do go down 10', I use this trencher:

7. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

Do you have to use a ladder when doing repairs?
  8. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Where is the best place to look for the backflow preventer codes?
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

He usually takes an elevator. Course, if it's rained then he may have to transfer to a ferry. :p
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Best place is to contact your local city for their backflow or cross-connection ordinances. I'll bet though that they'll be based on the National Plumbing Code, Uniform Plumbing Code, Model Plumbing Code, National Standard Plumbing Code, etc.

You can also do a web search and come up with plenty of cities in WA that have their cross-connection specs online. Use "backflow prevention" or "crossconnection" as your search criteria and it'll open up a LOT of sites.