local company only spraying Nitrogen year round as fert. Is this good?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nathan Robinson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

A local company only sprays nitrogen as there fertilizer year round. Anyone, (like me or not) who has turf knowledge please post if this is a good thing or bad. Should we (fertilization and weed control operators) be doing more for these soils? Are Humus Content, ph, Soluble Salts, Calcium, Phosphate (HPO4), Potassium, Magnesium (Mg), Manganese, Sulfates (SO4), Boron, Zinc and other vital nutrients not of importance? Is there a such thing as to much Chlorides? Does this contridict us as providers if we are not keeping up on anything but Nitrogen? I was under the impression that roots where as important as the shoot in turfgrass. Can the cell walls in turf grass be completely healthy with only nitrogen? Ultimately is this ripping off the customer who doesnt understand grass by just making it grow and turn green?

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I don't know of any companies spraying only nitrogen, but no that wouldn't be a good idea. anyone doing that is just out for a quick $$ and not thinking about the health of the turf long term.

3. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

Sort of what I was thinking. I would assume spraying nothing but salts such as nitrogen would make the soil crack in hot weather allowing warm air to be exposed to the roots causing severe damage to the grass plant in dormant seasons. I would love to know everyone else opinion on this.

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Nate,

Are you sure the company only sprays N??? All Season?? I highly doubt that.

Pete D.

5. Nathan Robinson

from 47712

Pete. I am sure buddy. Why do you doubt this? O...They spray iron here and there as well. They use weed control and crabgrass control as well. What I am saying is they only use nitrogen as their only fertilizer year round. Please display your opinion on this.

6. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Nate,
    Off the top of my head, applying only N is not a good thing, weather it be Urea or Ammonical Form. These acid forming fertilizers will Lower soil P.H. here in my soil type, putting Calcium in solution and also burning up Organic matter as N speeds the decomposition process. Soil microbes will also be supressed, and more diseases can follow.

The Tilth of the soil will become hard as organic matter is burned up too, and even less pore space in the soil....Less O2 in and Co2 exchanged. More bad stuff.

Phos. will be more locked up with Al as soils get even more acidic. If there is not enough P in solution, the turf will not have any energy for processes like growth and Sugar Transfer to roots. K will also become painfully low, as it will not lock up in soil, and lower with each rainfall or removal of clippings or both.

S will also lower as plants take up a tenth of a pound of S for every pound of N taken up by plants.

I could keep going, but I think you should get the picture. Plants need 13 Elements in the soil in proper proportions/balance, for plants to have those building blocks for healthy growth......With C,H and O fron the air, and of course Sunlight.

Just apply N, and turfgrass will decline for sure.

Pete D.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is a term for this....This is called tru-green mentality. This is probably al he knows.When you're taught by the biggest and best company out there, this is what you learn. NObody has nicer lawns than trugreen....nooooo body. After all, that is how their lawns stay so "nice and thick", and are so drought and nitrogen stress tolerant. Nope...THOSE lawns don't just lat over lifelessly. That's why you can never see footprints 3 days after someone walks on the grass, either.:rolleyes:

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

If P and K levels are already high, it is not a problem to apply only nitrogen.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Correct....Turf will not "luxury feed" on P or K so if the soil is meeting the minimum needs then it is somewhat irresponsible to use P & K. Look at all the Phosphate bans our industry is seeing now.

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

If N is the only thing lacking its fine with me.

It also causes a lawn to revert back to crap for the customer who cancels thinking he can do it himself.