local company only spraying Nitrogen year round as fert. Is this good?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nathan Robinson, Apr 27, 2007.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

In their defense, they did say that the soil test showed everything else was therre in abundance, but the way it seems to have been presented, it looks like they are saying the soil is that way everywhere.

In your case with high ph and low iron availability, you might want to look at your base calcium saturations. It could be that your soil has to much calcium and or Phosphorous and that is what is locking up your iron. If that is the case, you can try driving out the calcium by raising potassium and magnesium levels by using magnesium sulfate and potassium sulfate, or maybe even amonnium sulfate, of course without a soil test I am just guessing. For all I know, your soil could be severly deficient in iron.
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use SOP, used MOP for years. i'd like to use ammonnium, but can't realy find anybody that use's it, they just use urea. my understanding is that the ammon is that it is slower uptake, but less laching?? since you brought this up, is that correct? also, i put down .5# N per k (urea) would i do the same with ammon? or if i decided to go with both, could i split the .5# N between them have results? thanks