1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local dealer Mowing Lawns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nysnowman, Mar 28, 2001.

1. nysnowman

nysnowman LawnSite Member

I just saw an ad from a local dealer (he sells cub cadet and Dixon mowers)for doing lawn care.Does this seem right?Just wanted to get some opinions.I think he should stick to selling,let us handle the the service.
  2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

I would kind of agree but...there is a company here locally that started out mowing grass first and then became a dealer for the equipment they used. They got pretty big quick. The mainly started out carrying exmark and shin. Then they started getting in home owner junk. Shortly after that they decided to take on warrenty work for Home Depot and I believe Wally Wolrd. They then made it hard on the commercial guys cause they would put the home owners that bought the 129 dollar special first. Didn't make sense to me. One would think if one would buy a piece of equipment for lets say 8 grand..they would get immediate attention. Didn't happen. Needless to say people started buying from other dealers and this company is about back to square one. Point is they could be a similar operation and be their own worst enemy. I would not worry.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

You do what you got to to keep the bills paid. He was probabley an LCO befor he started selling equ..Things always looks better on the other side of the fence.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My local dealer also has a landscape business. Last year they started cutting lawns. The always refer lawns they don't want to me. Out of about 20 referals I've only taken on 2 as customers. Usually the lawns are less that desirable.
  5. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

“don’t worry bout what you don’t got worry bout keeping it” = bust your hump to keep the customers you have happy and just think of new ones as a bonus.

Once again more work is just that: more work=more paper work=more taxes=more years off your life=more money that does not go in the bank.