Local dealers piss me off!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, May 8, 2006.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

There is not 1 single dealer around here that will let you take a mower home to demo it. I just got off the phone with the dealer I am about to buy a new Tank M48 from in the next 2 days and he said they had a demo unit I could try. I said when can I pick it up. He said "on no you can drive it around here but cant turn the blades on because that will get it dirty". :hammerhead:

Also none of our dealers will give you a loaner if your mower goes down and into the shop. I swear the dealers here SUCK!

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

wow--between the "bad service" you have gotten and the "no service at all", I don't blame you for being peed.

GEO :waving:

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I feel your pain. Only one dealer here will let you take his demo for a few hours, no one else will let you even turn the blades on. Guess what dealer I'm buying a new z from.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Its starting to make me go :dizzy:

All I want to do is test this mower out to see for myself how well it cuts. I asked 4 local dealers to demo a new unit and only 1 had a demo in which i cant even turn the blades on. He said it was due to liability. :cry:

I wonder if there is a law that states that I have a certain amount of time to back out of the deal after the papers are signed? I ask because if I dont like the way it cuts I want to be able to back out.

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I believe in ohio you have 3 days to return anything, vehicles or whatever. Check it out for your state, might be possible.

Tell the dealers you want them to mow at the dealership so you can see the quality of cut.

6. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow thats sucks. The dealer around here won't let you take the demo home but you can take it for a spin on the field behind the store. He also has lenders if I ever need to bring mine in for service.

Jeff

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No offense but how long have you been purchasing equipment from said dealer(s), and how much money have you spent?

My dealer won't let anyone demo stuff either, for the simple reason just about anyone comes walking in and demos stuff for 2-3 days then brings it back and says they're not interested, or maybe the machine is broken. Now I dare say if I were highly interested in a machine, he might let me try it out to the point where I've just about handed him the money anyhow but it really has to be to that point and I've dealt with this guy for over 4 years now. Far as expenses, I thought my account was up there with the best until I accidentally saw someone else's expense account and realized some companies spend over 20 thousand dollars / year with this guy, and suddenly I didn't feel so big no more.

Now if I purchase something, then I am welcome to run it around outside their store after it is paid for, there is plenty of grass as there are fields in the back if the front acre isn't enough. And I am sure if I absolutely hated what I just bought and was willing to take something else because something about this machine was just wrong that maybe just maybe as a one-time deal he MIGHT let me return a used piece of equipment in exchange for something that better suits my needs, but that would be asking for one huge favor of the guy as well, he would just as likely try and explain some things to me or perhaps make some minor adjustments that set things straight, and that is how I've always worked with my dealer.

Yes, there is a dealer further south from me who will let you demo stuff if that is more your cake but see, my dealer puts priority on repairs that need to be made to any machine that was purchased from him... Those machines get fixed first and everybody else gets to wait and I mean wait until the last machine that was purchased from him is fixed, even if someone else's machine has been sitting for 3 months and a dealer-purchased one came in yesterday, the one that came in yesterday gets fixed first so long it was purchased directly from him, it ALWAYS gets fixed first. And the other dealer is not like that, his repairs are all first come first serve without preference which may be ok with the new guys but is not ok with me, so you take the good with the bad and put two and two together and you decide what it is you want from a dealer, some benefits aren't always obvious.

That, and likely most dealers aren't exactly about to lay out the entire list of blue royal carpet benefits in front of the guy who just walked in the door because a lot of these fringe benefits are reserved and I mean reserved for those who have been dealing with him for many, many years.

So that's the way I see things.

8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The only dealer that would let me demo one was the JD dealer 40 miles away. The others here were just like yours, could not even turn on the blades. Guess what I own?

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

A dealer near me will let you demo with blades on in their back yard. Which is all I really needed to decide.
    The demo models are sold at a discount later on.

10. mphillips4739

mphillips4739 LawnSite Member

My dealer (John Deere) has a one hour down time guarentee. If you are a commercial client and your machine goes down, they will have you repaired in an hour or GIVE you a loaner. They also happily give out demoes for the day, on both JD and Scag (their other brand).:cool2: