1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local Dirt #2006

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moretta Lawn Care, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Moretta Lawn Care

Moretta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Would a Lawn Care Union work? Let me know what you think.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Haven't UNIONS already sent enough Amercian jobs overseas with their outragous demands of employers?
  3. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

their demands aren't outrageous. labor unions are good for skilled labor. lawnmower operators isn't skilled labor.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

AH NO, The employers found cheap labor to build there products and then ship them back to the us for americans to buy at a huge profit for them. Employees only wanted enough money to afford to purchase the over priced items built by cheap foreign labor. Wally world employees are gone have a hard time affording homes and cars when there rate of pay is $6.00 an hr and no medical bennies :)
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

BULL!! $25-$30 an hour, $35-$45 an hour OT, plus medical, plus 2 weeks vacation, plus 15 sick days, plus 6-10 holidays, plus full retirement benefits for some guy that completed the 4th grade to stand at a workbench and use a nailgun to staple the back to chest of drawers........:dizzy:
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Massillon right in my neighborhood union No go I am an owner I imagine you are also so why would you want a union.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Unions are for EMPLOYEES not OWNERS.....If youre an owner, why in hell would you want a union?

If youre talking about a bunch of lawn guys that get together and trade ideas and such, that would be an association.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think a union would be a wonderful idea for us. That would make it so we would be paying out 18 to 28 dollars per hour, having to provide medical, dental, and optical, being required to "comply" with all their working standards - including them saying "That's not my job - it's not in the description". And let's not forget not being able to fire them for being drunk or on drugs. Instead, we get to pay for their "rehabilitation".
  9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

this is an awesome idea, lets drive the cost to do biz up so much we give illegals even more of an oppurtunity to take over. just think you could pay your guys for an 8 hour day and if your lucky, get 5 hours of work out of them...
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am really beginning to resent those type of statements.
    Just because you were made to feel like you're nothing but a slave doesn't mean the rest of us have to feel that way.

That is what it boils down to, feeling down on yourself, and I refuse! Because the village idiot I am not, despite some people's best intentions to make me feel that way, I will not tolerate it from them or from anyone.

And if it isn't skilled, then which one of your new hires can do this:
    FYI, they're tri-stripes which give the squares a 'windowed' look, only Wb's with a Velke can do them, all other mowers produce regular stripes, if the operator is what? SKILLED!