1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local Exmark dealer totally looney tunes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowin4cash, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Mowin4cash

Mowin4cash LawnSite Member

Just had to share this. I visited my local Exmark dealer today because it was raining and I didn't have anything else better to do. So I thought I'd go in and see what this operation had as far as equipment. Of course the salesman didn't know that I cut for a living, so he really poured on the "facts" about Exmark. And to be fair, a couple of other brands also. He was telling me how they were superior to anything on the market. I then let it "slip" that I had looked at Dixie Choppers. Then he proceded to tell me that all the guys in my area were trading in their choppers on exmarks because 1) The spindles aren't holding up. 2) You can only get 2000 hours out of a chopper. 3) bla bla bla The best comment he made was that when they had accepted used choppers in trade, one had only 173 hrs on it, nobody would by it. I then proceeded to tell him how I was in the business and have logged thousands of hours in choppers with virtually no repairs. And how that just a year earlier, I demoed the 72" Exmark with the diesel from this same store and that the deck lift mechanism fell apart while mowing over rough ground. I just had to laugh all the way to the truck.
  2. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

Now that's something to laugh about. I've had a simular situation happen to me today. I went to the meyer distributor in my area to get some replacement parts for my snow plow. When i was up at the counter and the "big wig rep" happen to overhear what i was saying & wanted to look my plow over. We got outside & walked up to my truck and he did everything in his power to convince me to get a new plow instead of replacing parts o mine. Yea the plow in about 10 years old & looks to be desired, but hay, there meant to be used,not prettied up. When i dug my cowboy boots in the dirt like a was roppin a bronkin bull about keepin my plow & getting my parts i needed, he then tried to way over price what i wanted into getting me to change my mind. At this point, I'm totally turned off & wanted to tell the guy wear to stick it, but instead i told him i knew what the parts prices were and called earlier in the week, oh, he then told me he was only giving me a rough estimate (his rough estimate for example was a new motot for my power unit was $140.00, I called around & got it for $69.00. then the light kit was $200.00, but i checked around and got it for $89.00)
    Man what some people will do to make a buck. I'f the guy would have been honest with me and didn't try to change my mind, I'm sure i would have baught a few things from them.
    anyone else gone through this?:blob4:
  3. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I walked into a Toro dealer, and asked a rather innocent question, "Are these big 44 inch Toros any good?" Instantly the man behind the counter started lauding the Toros to the heavens, meanwhile making fun of SCAG and Exmark. Then he concluded his little sales pitch with this line, "but this doesnt matter to you, you would never need a mower this big and powerful! You would just hurt yourself." (bear in mind I am only 20, and dont look my age, I look about 16-17 people tell me) I then procedded to tell him about my lawn mowing company, how I was the manager of it, how I was making more money than he was, how I operated machines far bigger than 44 inches on a daily basis. His slack jawed amazement was very gratifying!

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I'll tell you what ticks me off since I've been actively shopping and checking out all the brands. I'm conserned about 3 key issues....

#1 - How well does it cut & stripe?
    #2 - How well does it mulch?
    #3 - How well does it handle slopes?

Of course everyone has the best cut, stripe and mulching ability. But what really gets me is how they go on about how there machine handles slopes better than other makes.

Ferris says our IS makes the machine handle hills better than anything out there. Gravely says our pivoting front axle makes our machine handle hills better than anything out there. Grasshopper says our low center of gravity, wide drive tires and under the seat gas tank makes us better. Great Dane says our wide stance, low seat height and under the seat gas tank makes ours better. And the list goes on.

Every machine can't be the best! It seems like some questions are just a waste of breath.
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Ever heard the word "salesman"?
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ditto. these guys makin a livin just like we are. i will agree a good salesman has a good sense of timeing, as to what to say an when. kinda like a standup comic.
    the rite one could have sold u :) .jmo
  8. dr grass

dr grass Banned

sounds to me like a WHOLEEEEEE bunch of BULLS*&T form a WHOLEEEEE bunch of different people. Listen to me people! If you want to do proper research on defferent brands of mowers follow the list im about to make up ... trust me it will be good...

1) Read REadREAD REaD!!! (books on mowers, pamphlets, internet, whatever...)
    2) Talk TALk TAlK .... ( to other lco's, salesman (but dont take it more than lightly) previous owners of different brands, etc...)
    3)Listen LIStEN LISTEN lisTEN !!! to all of this information, and make a decision based on your now-up-to-date knowlege.

Any inprovising will be welcomed!! hope this helps

shep :cool:
  9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm wondering why you guy's are in dealerships where you have no intenton of buying a thing, asking a bunch of questions, where you KNOW you are going to get a biased opinion. WHAT, do you think the man making a living at a Toro dealership is going to pull you quietly aside and tell you......."Exmark is really the best mower, I suggest you go over there", HUH, would you tell a customer who calls you for work that Joe Blow's mower shop down the street does a better job than you???? Then you make a mockery of the guy's advice and opinion just because you had "nothing better to do".

How would you feel if your competing LCO called you out to his house for an estimate. Let you spend your precious time ($$$) walking the property, counting bushes, measuring off square footage of grass to be mowed, linear footage of edging to be done, figuring out a fert. program for the turf ect. THEN, when you handed him the proposal he started telling you how he could do it better with his own company. Laughing in your face. How would you feel?

It's the same thing.

I know some of you don't want to hear this but COME ON GUY'S what comes around goes around. Think about wasting other peoples time, it will come back to you.

Luke 6:31
    "Do to others as you would have them do to you."

I'm ready go ahead and start bashing.
  10. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Very well said Scott. I totally agree.