Local Law, enforcement, etc.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescaretaker, Sep 9, 2004.

1. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what if any your local cities have as far as ordnances applying to landscapes. Here we are required to have the following safety equipment:

2 Fire Extinguishers
    Commercial First aid Kit
    4 traffic cones
    Red Safety vest if parked on a road or highway
    strobe - turned on if on a highway
    DOT kit
    Truck with signs
    Of course, business licenses (City, County & State)
    Insurance - minimum 1 million (we have 2 million)

The city of Myrtle Beach is having a reading next week where they are getting stupid on the rules and regs. Anyone else dealing with this?
  2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Where the city is going is that they want us to use color coded safety cans for fuel. We already have the safety cans but now we must buy ones that have serial numbers and color coded to what is inside. The cans are then registered with the city.

What else, every employee will be required to carry a copy of out city business license. Hard hats are required if on a mower with over a 56" deck. If mowing within 20 feet of a public street, a strobe must be on the mower. The driver must also wear a vest.

Don't get me wrong. I believe in safety. But to pass a law requiring this... that is what rips me. There are at least a dozen of us going to the meeting to oppose this motion. There is more things too. We can not mow on Sunday or before 8:00 AM and after 7:00 PM.

Anyone else running into a city doing this?
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know who you are voting for for president, but if i were you i would forget that and start to look at city council seats. Sounds like they have way way too much time on their hands. If thats all they have to do there should be NO crime there.
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even know what ours are and I really don't care or have time to read the local ordinace books.

The local town and county have a well-earned reputation of being obstructionist to business.

I figure if something is wrong they will let me know. Or maybe not. Worst case scenario they drag me into court over some technicallity, in which case I trust the common sense of a judge.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

South Carolina is a wacky place. All those ordinances you're talking about, but yet, you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet and they have laws governing how rare your steak can be. Give 'em hell at the meeting, and yeah, considering running for city council next election.