1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local lawn guy may have bit of more than he wanted...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KirbysLawn, Aug 15, 2003.

1. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

and he has not been seen since.

A lawn a few streets over has high grass...how high, maybe 4'-5' high. Last Saturday he arrives to mow the lawn with a JD tractor and a bagging system. When I am back a few hours later the front lawn was mowed but HUGE piles of grass are every where!!

Looks like he's not coming back. Here are a few photos:

tall grass 1.jpg
  2. KirbysLawn

Here is one of the piles he left in the road, it was bigger last week when it was fresh:

tall grass 3.jpg
  3. KirbysLawn

Looks like the blades couldn't handle it. ;)

tall grass 5.jpg
  4. KirbysLawn

How much would it cost to hire you to mow and clean up this mess??

tall grass 4.jpg
  5. Not like the bluegrass I deal with.

I quoted a "first cut in mid season" similar to that one this year.
    It was $60 for regular mowing, $240 just to cut it down.

I wasn't going to rake and haul clippings. Just mow every 4-5 days till the clippings got beat to dust. It's possible to do that with bluegrass without actually killing the lawn. But it looks like mortal sin for a couple of months. It was just a warehouse.

It looks like that grass in the pics is tough enough to get wound around the spindles and stop the blades. I don't think I could deal with it. I'd recommend bushhogging.

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

You have one of three options:
    1) the easiest way is a bushhog. grass that tall will burn up the motor on a regular commercial mower.
    2) spend a couple of days with a brush cutting attachment on a trimmer.
    3) call the local rancher and ask him if he would like to bail some grass for the livestock.:eek:

Any way you look at it; it's going to cost big $$$ to get me on that property. No less than $500.:D
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I think he was waiting for the fog to lift.

That looks like a Midwest prairie. I'd just set a controlled brush fire and start over.:p

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

brush hog
  9. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

I vote a sickle mower, hay rake, and baler!
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

that is for sure. around my area you could find a farmer that would bushhog that for around $30-40. they do it all the time.

however, in the next big town, where they have CODES, he could get maybe $150. still cheaper than having the city do it.

yes, I'm sure you can burn up a motor and blade belts if you aren't careful. mowers aren't bushhogs. but if you do it right, it can still be cut with a commercial unit by making very narrow cuts and multiple passes on the same row.

when I started back in '96, I did a lot just about like that one for $350. I didn't want to do it but I was getting alot of business from this guy. I did it like I described above and I cut it twice. it took me about four hours. minus the wear and tear on the ole lesco, it was good money and I needed it at the time.

if I had it to do again I'd sub it out and still pocket some nice bucks.