Local LCO in the act - What's wrong with this picture?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Eddie B, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

See anything wrong in this picture? They're cutting cement blocks to fit for a bed.

Here's the guy up close with the saw...

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

dont need no stinkin glasses?
  3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Can't forget hearing protection, maybe a dust mask.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

At least he has a hat on though, dont want to get too much sun and then get heat stroke.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good god man, I couldnt imagine running a concrete saw with no glasses, hearing protection or respirator. That guy will not be around long.

Cuttin cement blocks to fit for a bed...haha I will pass.
  6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Besides the PPE, is another part of it that they are not using a water kit on the saw to keep the cement dust from drifting/blowing around to neighboring houses?

I guess some owners just think mexicans are expendable labor. Kill one off from no PPE, just go down to the corner and pick up another one.
  7. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

he'll be fine they have worse things in the water in his country. And to the glasses part most of them don't even have windsheilds on their cars if they have one so he is use to getting hit in the face by debri.
  8. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

There was no water kit being used... the dust was clowding up the whole neighborhood street. I looked out the window this morning and couldn't believe what I was seeing. And no gloves, mask or eye protection. The company is what appears to be a high-end Hardscaping company. They were there with 2 new Chevy C5500 Dumps, and what appeared to be the owner pulled up in a newer F250. The lady was out there all morning trying to speak English to these guys until the owner finally came. I guess she was trying to explain how she wanted it done?
  9. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I think this guy is aware that safety glasses/ dust masks are available, but chose not to wear either of them.

But it should be YOU, the employer that provides the safety gear, you should not make the employees buy their own safety gear.

I have several pairs of gloves, safety glasses, ear protection, etc. provided for my employees to use. When they are working without protection, I always go up to them and tell them "Just to let you know, I do have safety glasses and gloves in the truck, you are more than welcome to use them". If they refuse to wear them, I say "Fine, just don't come crying to me if you get hurt".

And I have had people that originally refuse to wear the safety gear that get a rock in their eye, or blister up their hands come up to me and ask "Where are those safety glasses and gloves?" And they start to wear the safety gear more often.
  10. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

that is about what you would expect from workers getting paid $6.00/hr...Gotta put most of the blame on the contractor that put them out there to work like that.