Local LCO unions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 16, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I was wondering if there is a such thing or if it could be created. Seems we could use one around here because even the pros are not charging near what you guys say to charge. Maybe it's just our market but I was thinking if there is a union organization that you can hire to creat a Lawncare/landscaper's union then we could benefit by banding together and keeping prices up like gas stations do :D
    Think it might work? Does this already exist? Thanks,
    Eric

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Heck no! And if they ever formed one I'd take immediate steps to make our company a closed-shop company, disallowing any union involvement. And if for some reason my employees ever formed a union against me and went on strike, I SWEAR I'd fire every one of their asses and start all over again with new employees.

It's funny; when companies get together and collectively set prices, that's called an illegal monopoly. But when workers get together and collectively demand set wages, that's called a legal union.

Whatever. If you like unions, fine. But I can't stand them. And I'll never deal with them. I'd rather lose half of my company and money re-structuring than I would let my employees start taking control of things.

3. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

If that happened you could be charge with price fixing

4. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

What Jim said!............!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto...jimlewis...I don't have to say another word.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

SHUT UP! And moderator - please close this thread.:dizzy:

7. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

why would you want to close the thread???
    legit ??? from bhb...
    I dont think you have to price fix for lcos to for an association to help with ad costs of the general benifts of using a lis, ins, reputable and respectable biz

my .02

shawn

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

9. bilbo7021

bilbo7021 LawnSite Member

An assoc. (not a union) might work, if it were regional or state wide. But I doubt a local one would work. It would cost too much to do the PR.

Oh, and BHB, gas stations don't fix their prices all by themselves. They all make about .05 cents on the dollar (maybe) above what they are charged by the bigger oil companies. That would be the same theory as we have to charge $1 per minute cause we want to. They pay the suppliers prices and such just the same as we do. And you wouldn't believe the taxes they fork out for just selling gasoline; and the regulatory fees for having "hazardus materials" onsite.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Whoa! Wait! I didn't mean it that way, I meant to benefit us the owners. Ok i guess I dont' know jack about unions but I mean an organization that would make sure professional LCO's are treated fairly in that it would keep prices up and make sure we're not infiltrated by scrubs, keep up customer's expectations, etc. Not to make sure our employees get treated fair, so we get treated fair, get it? Maybe this isn't for a union I don't know but some sort of organization that would have benefits for LCO's so they would join and we could keep standards and prices up. Think it would work? Sorry if I misused the word "union", but what would you call it??? Thanks,
    Eric