1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local LCO

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToroLandscaper, Jun 2, 2005.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys there is a local landscaper who is under cutting everyone and its pisson people off really bad. For example there is a landscaper who is a friend (doug) of mine and he is doin a yard and he does it for $45.00 and its worth every penny of it just becouse the old man will come out and watch you the WHOLE TIME and its a pretty decent sized yard. well any way the landscaper who is under cuttin everyone goes up there and says i will give you a senior discount and will mow weed eat and blow for $20.00 luckily the guys said the hell with that i like my guy and then any yard that looks to have stripes he will go up and under cut it ATLEAST 5-10 $$. Another LCO (allen) was working and he stopped and he was sayin how he was tryin to get all the accounts he could and under cuttin every one. And he even threatin to take jobs from the other lco (doug) this guy is really pissin people off. What would you all do to get this bastard to stop its not threatining any of our buissnesses its just pissin us off becouse of his BS. Another thing is he has one guy weed eat while he mows and he has a WB and a Z and a decents truck HOW DOES THIS GUY MAKE MONEY after he pays his helper and pays the truck payment and gas and up keep on everything how is he making any kind of profit at all LOL Sorry i just had to get it out. sorry about the spelling.
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Competition Sucks, Especially the low life. Who does a better job, has better reputation as well as equipment? YOU DO, and at the end of the day that guy made only half as much as you but still cut the same number of lawns. So I would not let him bother you.

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

As a homowner it's my job (because of tHis site) thanks Sean 2 educate everyone i know..About the Crap u guys put up with...GOD BLESS THE LCO'S!
  4. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

i don't see why people complain about others who can afford to go with lower prices. if he is mowing 1,000 lawns and making $5 profit on each lawn and you're mowing 100 lawns and making 10 dollars on each lawn, who is making more money? its the same tactic that chain stores use, they can sell in bulk and operate on a 1% margin.

maybe you should figure out how to lower your overhead. maybe he invested dirty money into something clean. maybe his workers are not well paid, maybe $6 an hour. maybe he doenst have any maintenance labor costs because he does it all himself, maybe he was a mechanic in a former life. maybe he has family working with him and htey split the profit so they dont have to pay for labor charges, they just do the work and split it themselves.

who knows? figure out how you can compete, because what he is doing is perfectly legal.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Everyone is always so quick to compare the big chain stores to us. It's not the same thing. We are a SERVICE industry, they are a RETAIL business.

And when I look at all those "maybes" listed above, everyone of them will eventually lead to "maybe" being out of business in a year.
  6. dog245

dog245 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

The bottom line is that if he's out trying to undercut the industry he doesn't have the client base for a business. Now this most probably is because he does crappy work and has crappy equipment. We all have seen these low balling bastar.. come and go. Do quality work and he'll be gone by the years end. If not, beat his knees once and he'll think twice next time.
  7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

He will either succeed or, more probably, fail and be out of biz and he won't be a problem anymore.
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Keep track of where he is mowing. I have found that guys like him may be able to keep up for a while and think he is on top of the game but eventually reality catches up with him. When there is no money to hire another goof, or there is no money to replace the Murray, he starts losing jobs.
    You may also want to do a little detective work to make sure he is operating as a legit business. All licenses purchased, paying tax to Uncle Sam?
    If you know he is way out of line with his pricing then he has to be cutting corners somewhere.
    Truthfully you will be able to take over a number of his accounts when things go sour for him but you also have to remember that the people that go over are shoppers, not really the kind of customer that appreciates quality work in many cases. These types of customers have a new LCO every year because they are cheap. You have a tough situation to deal with now and patience is needed. Keep us updated. Good Luck.

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

why would ya wanna compete, with a moron who's working for nothing?
    tell ya what, you drop your prices to compete w/ jonny moron.it will be more work for the rest of us, when both your dumba$$'s go under!
  10. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Just have faith in the fact that with his lowball prices and shady tactics, he will soon run himself out of business.