Local man dies in ZTR accident

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Richard Martin, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

We had a local man die in a ZTR accident. He was operating a new Toro Timecutter that he had just purchased. He apparently lost control and got pinned between the mower seat and a outdoor deck that was at chest height. This was the first time he had operated a ZTR mower.

I once got pinned between a well anchored post and my first hydro walkbehind. I was backing up and backed right into the post. It happened so fast that I couldn't react fast enough to prevent it. It was only on me for a split second but it taught me a very valuable lesson that day.

[​IMG]

http://www.wcti12.com/news/deputies...nt/-/13530444/21376654/-/slvcw7z/-/index.html

2. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Few years back we lost a decent account to a home purchased z, I warned them that hill is no place to learn how drive one of these. Two weeks later we were back because they flipped it when it went out of control down the hill. I said to his wife we never put a z on that hill only wb, we only used the z in the back. I would never though of being pinned like that, I am printing this out.

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

Thats kinda odd. If he were to of hit the heck it should pressed back on the sticks making him go in reverse. hummmmm

4. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Had a few homeowners go into their ponds on new ZTR's. thankfully I haven't heard of anybody being killed

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It only needs a tiny bit of forward to hold the mower in place. If you look at the picture closely, you can see where the seat back broke and he was probably laying back between the seat and the bottom of the deck.

6. JCLawn and more

from MI

Oh and the edge looks like its above the handle bars. My fear is always low tree limbs. Imagine being stabbed in the heart or something with fighting a branch and stick till go foreward.

7. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

did he go up under the deck, basically being "clothes lined"?

8. JCLawn and more

from MI

That's what it looks like.

9. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

Sad, but thank you for posting Richard, I think we all need a wake up call just to remind us to be safe. I know heat and fatigue can result in my making poor decisions.

10. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I rolled my z years ago. It doesn't take much. I flip out if I see the rops down on my z. I'm tempted to weld them in place.