Local man dies in ZTR accident

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Richard Martin, Aug 8, 2013.

1. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from FL

I almost flipped my z too! I got to caught up in my music and was to relaxed, I forgot my Rops were up and went under a low tree, it picked up the front end of the mower! Thankgod i was going slow enough to counter act the unfolding situation and saved myself and an expensive machine repair! Some times you need one close call to get you back to thinking more before doing!

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Actually, most of the time in a situation like that, if you are hitting the limb or whatever square with the ROPS, when it starts to tilt back it will only go so far as to where the exhaust and rear of the frame contact the ground. At this point your wheels will likely be spinning or depending on how high up the obstruction was, your ROPS will finish going under it and the front end will come slamming back down to the ground. This is one of those instances where on a mower with ROPS that it is important to also make sure your seat belt is working and fastened around you (to keep you from being thrown forward when the front comes back down). Now, if you hit something off square.... THAT is another story and I hope you survive to tell it.

3. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

What a terrible thing. I wonder how fast he was going to break the seat back? I will have to share with my wife who sometimes helps me get the jobs done. Thanks.

4. Southern Heritage

Southern Heritage LawnSite Member

I flipped because I was mowing a hill nothing major but new construction. The hill gave out and I rode it to the bottom.

5. WishforScagWildcat

from FL

Nice is it better than a slide at a water park?

6. Southern Heritage

Of cource. I only slid 4-5' and as I tried to point it to the bottom it grabbed and went for a tumble.

7. WishforScagWildcat

from FL

Wow must have been worse than a rollercoaster ride, thank god ur ok!

8. Lawn Specialties

Lawn Specialties LawnSite Member

I think it's also common for people to panic.A buddy of mine was telling me about his wife driving his new Z. She throttled it up and shoved the sticks forward but panicked when the mower wouldn't stop no matter how hard she stomped on the deck lift assist.

9. WishforScagWildcat

from FL

Haha that is funny, u move the bars foward to go, and the pedal stops you?

10. Southern Heritage

Hey I know I panicked. I'm normally calm to because I used to rock crawl before my body went to heck in a hand bag and after a good ride I couldn't walk for a few days. None the less I saw a guy flip a dingo a last year and crushed his leg. It started to slide down a landscape bed towards a little ditch and he jumped off and tried to stop it with his body. Afterwords he told his boss he doesn't know why he just didn't drop the bucket.