Local man dies in ZTR accident

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Richard Martin, Aug 8, 2013.

1. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from FL

Failure, massive one at that!

2. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Ugh this is horrible. Zero turns take some getting used to. I think dealers really need to stress safety and taking the time to learn how to properly operate them. You can so easily be killed on one of these things, and I'm sure EVERYONE on here has had at least one close call.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Maybe he didn't get it from a Dealer, maybe he ordered it or bought it through Home Depot, or maybe he ordered it online from one of the online sites selling them without sales tax and FREE shipping and had to finish the assembly himself and was never given any pre-operation walk-through like a dealer is supposed to do upon the sale.. ?

4. GARRETTWOOD

GARRETTWOOD LawnSite Senior Member

Coming up a hill last week, when drive pulley fell off. Went for some ride backwards and slid off into the woods. Stopped short of embankment and stream.

5. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

how did he get pinned? this is strange.

6. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I am having a tough time picturing how this accident went down in my head as well.

The victim then drove under a free-standing deck, causing him to be pinned between his mower and the structure, investigators said.

The only thing I can think of is he was going full speed and the impact of the deck took off his head or crushed his chest as he was pinned between the seat and wood. Maybe he misread the height of the deck and thought he could cut underneath it if he ducked a little bit.

7. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Been there done that, that is why we never put z's on hills to steep you never can predict a belt snapping or what not.

8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but at least he had the ROPS removed so he made good time as he wouldn't get caught up on a tree branch.

9. goodgreen

goodgreen LawnSite Senior Member

I've lost control twice at a condo complex with a pond and sloping banks. Both times, the bank was wet and the mower just slid right down toward the water. Fortunately trees blocked me on both occasions probably saving my life. Now I have a roll bar to keep from being pinned if that ever happens again. Once you experience this, it changes your attitude toward safety measures!

10. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

One of the reasons I got a stander is so I can bail out quickly. I have had my arm punctured with a tree branch standing on it could have been my eye if I was on a sit down. Like someone earlier i think dealers to need to go over safety with new operators. They are scary at first considering some of the top speeds of ztrs today, doesn't take but a blink of a eye and something horrible like this can happen.