Local man dies in ZTR accident

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Richard Martin, Aug 8, 2013.

1. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

i wasn't so lucky. Slid to the drop off into a pond then rolled several times and trapped me underwater. 72" zero turn. I somehow got out from under it and walked for help. Seven broken ribs, collapsed lung and damn near lost my left leg. Looking back....I was darn lucky. I won't go anywhere near a bank next to water anymore.

2. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Holy crap, You are must be a important person for god saving you from that, alot of people might have just died!

3. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

We just had a local guy up by us flip over his ZTR. They said he was trapped for an "unknown" period of time and died.

4. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

I won't accept customers with ponds on their property or properties that border lakes. It's just not worth it to risk a ZTR sliding down the bank and hurting somebody.

5. KV9064

KV9064 LawnSite Member

Man killed in lawn mower accident
    Posted: Aug 22, 2013 8:04 PM EDT Updated: Aug 22, 2013 8:13 PM EDT

A man was killed in Hancock County when he was pinned underneath a lawn mower.

The Hancock County sheriff's department says 53-year-old Charles Turner was operating a Scag Zero Turn lawn mower near Route 68 in Madison Township. The lawn mower rolled down a ditch bank and pinned Turner underneath.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The sheriff's department is investigating the accident.

this was on Toledo 13 News Toledo ,Ohio

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Have to agree with this. I'm thinking that standers might be the only mowers we will buy in the future, unless we have larger accounts that require a sit-down mower.

One commercial property we do has a drainage ditch, both guys that work for me have slid our run-be-hind into the ditch. Luckily with the platform/sulky behind it, they just were able to step off while it happened.

7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

Stand on mower can be just a dangerous. We were mowing a site where they had cut of a metal pole and instead of it being cut of at ground level they left about 2 inches up. Front of deck hit the pole and me flying over the handle bars, I ended up with 5 stitches in the head a concusion and a black eye. Thank god for the Opc or i would have been run over. This was a one time cut and the grass was 8 inches. And these homeowner grade ztr don't come with Rops.

8. Swank1975

Swank1975 LawnSite Member

My techs hate it but I've had my mechanic permanently bolt all of our ROPS in the Up position. Still working on getting them to buckle up.

9. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

what did you hit your head on?

10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

There will always be risks involved, you'll never eliminate them completely.

Working on a commercial property, the same thing happened to me, only it was on my mini skid. One track hit a pole sticking up, throwing me off the machine and throwing the track off.
    Posted via Mobile Device