Local paper quoted $48/1k for flyer inserts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Adam3669, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

For a 5"x8" 'postcard' flyer to be insterted with the paper. Front and back. They do the printing. Sound like a good deal or no?

2. mikeny

mikeny LawnSite Member

we are looking at the same option and i'm leaning that way. I have to check out the zones they have, they can't break it out by streets but by the truck that takes the to the carrier full circulation would be about 20k papers too many flyers hitting customers at once for me. Has anyone done this, would you do it again-sure beats postal rates and tossing a flyer on a side walk is just trashy.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I wouldn't do more than 1-2K at one time though.

4. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'd do about 2,000 at a time !!

5. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah im only going to to a couple K at a time..and they do it by Zip code. I select the zip code I want them to hit. If I want to send out 2k flyers..and there arent 2k people in that zip code, they let me pick another one to hit with the remaining

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

There are well over 2000 households in a zip code. Overland Park KS has over 60,000 households and 17 physical address zip codes. That comes out to 3530 households per zip code.

7. rodneyamolt

rodneyamolt LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever tried this method of advertising? Insert ads into newspapers? If so what kind of responses did you get? Was it worth it?

8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Yes, but not every household takes a paper.

9. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

I do this exact type of advertising. Both with the City paper and with local community papers. I've never gotten it that cheap. My prices are about $42 per thousand for delivery only and that's if I do a minimum of 10,000.

Plus, for the people that don't take the paper, both groups go around and drop off adbags for them. Plus they skip apartments the only thing they can't get around is the "No Flyers" sign.

btw, I find the city paper had more reliable delivery they are delivered by adults and when poeple don't get their paper they complain. But with the local papers, since they are free and kids deliver them, delivery can be sketchy. I haven't even had MY local paper delivered for months and I've got a column add in there. They don't pay enough to get reliable people.

10. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I am getting ready to do the same thing. My cost is about $315 for 4500 inserts and covers the whole county. Even at a 1% committment the money will easily be made back. The only problem I am having is getting the flyer designed in the right program. I am using MS Office Publisher 2007 and the templates aren't doing what I need them to.