1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Local wall failure (More Pics )

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mike33, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okey everyone i stopped by this job this evening and took some more pics. Look at the grid placement, and the un compacted back fill. Also what kind of block is this?

2. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Friggin' scary!!!
  3. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Block is made by a company called rockwood. The blocks interlock without the use of pins. They work real well if installed correctly. A local contractor here had a large wall fail due to incorrect backfill material also. Seaballast is the best kind of gravel to use to backfill and fill the voids in the blocks. Using shale, SB2, or any material with clay in it due to the fact they do not offer any drainage. Hope this helps
  4. Mike33

My sales rep from ab bidded on this job and said it was Keystone. I have never seen a Keystone block is it close to what you are talking about?
  5. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible they ARE using Keystone and ARE NOT using the pins? That could play a huge role in this failure.

Could it be?

[Edit] Nevermind...the closeup of the block does not resemble Keystone and there are no pin holes.
  6. Mike33

I've never seen a keystone block to even comment on it.
  7. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both Rockwood and Keystone.

The picture is of Rockwood.
  8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Here ya go!

9. Mike33

Okey, so what kind is your pic because it is different than my pic.
  10. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

The block pictured in championls post is a keystone Standard Unit, they weigh right at 100 pounds. We use them here but we mostly use the keystone compact unit. Keystone makes a great block and we have a great supplier, we are also a distributor for Keystone.