Local wall failure

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mike33, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

here is some pics of a large srw that failed in my area. This wall is around our new hospital under construction. The height is some places looks around 30-40' and must be arond 1/3 mile long. 2 months ago i drove by and took a slight look and thought that wall has a heck out a bow in it, na couldnt be. The next week it blew out . An out of town contractor must be in deep crap. Look at the drainage stone, 1' wide hell i have more in a 3' wall than they have here. They are actually re-building it back up the same domb way i think that is in pic 1 or 2. The backfill soil was all clay. Check out pic 5 does it look like it is leaning also?
    Mike

h1.JPG

h2.JPG

h3.JPG

h4.JPG

h5.JPG

2. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

ok there is a time and place for wall bricks .this my not be the one.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

That hurts......I bet they were low bid though!

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

A job of that size, I'm sure they know why it failed. Looks like Keystone block. It has no locking back lip,only a 5/16" fiberglass pin to hold it. Each block usually takes two pins. Not good enough for my liking.

5. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:laugh: dude keystone block whatever,look how the slope is cut ,may i suggest rock ,maybe large rock????????

6. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw a Allan Block wall job today that almost made me crash my truck. I didn't have my trusty camera, but I WILL take some pictures tomorrow. Wait until you see how some moron stacked these blocks up! OMG...it doesn't get any worse than this.

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you think of the last pic? Dont it look like the top is leaning?
    mike

8. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it appears to be leaning.

Why no Geogrid? It will fail again IMO, I just hope no one is injured or worse when it does.

The weight of the blocks stacked 30 feet high and all the gravel behind it will push it forward. There's nothing to hold it back.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are NOT Keystone. I'm not 100% sure what they are, but I think they are Rockwoods.

I'm not very familiar with Rockwood, so I do not remember if they use pins or not. FWIW, I would much rather have pins (Keystone or Versa-lok) than a back lip like Anchor. I've used all three, and I am certain the Keystones and VL's are NOT going anywhere. Can not say the same for Anchor...

There is geogrid there- don't you see it hanging down from the backfill soil? That's part of the reason pinned blocks are inherently better than lipped- you have positive contact with the grid....

10. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I think you are right.
    Looks like Rockwood to me as well.
    I do not believe Rockwood has pins.

I have seen many many pictures of failed walls and never seen one of Versa-lok or other pinning style walls that had failed.