Locating a hydraulic valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Backlap, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Backlap

Backlap LawnSite Member

Hey...... I've got to locate a hydraulic valve in a center parking lot island.
    I know where a couple sprays are. The system has been winterized. The island has worked in the early spring. New electric system put in with a clock. The island was left out because the persons could no locate a sleeve or main line that ran to the island. I have idea I think may work....but may be time consuming. Anyone have any ideas. My idea involves using a fish tape

2. Track the tube by potholing is your best bet. No quick sure fire ways to find hydraulic valves except by potholing the tees and the tube looking for clues to its location.

3. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

A fish tape and metal detector sounds good.

I ran into something like this (but different) once when we had a deep freeze back in 1990...

It was only the third hydraulic system I ever encountered. The homeowner had no idea it was even there because it had been abandoned long ago but nobody ever bothered to disconnect the main.

So a normally open system was all on after something in the system froze and broke.

We temporarily put caps on all the heads, then tracked down and uncovered the old mainline and bypassed the section that fed the valves. Didn't bother to find them after all because they no longer mattered.

4. jimmyburg

jimmyburg LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you charge by the hour!!

5. That better be a thin fish tape.......

6. brookviewlawncare

brookviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

We typically cut the main then run the fish tape down the main and trace with locator . if it is a polly main you can usually find tees for the valves with the tape getting caught on the fitting