1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Locating a Lot for Equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Nov 4, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering finding some commercial/industrial space to store my equipment next year. I was wondering how some of you went about deciding to move from your garage to commercial space. I would also like to know how the whole thing worked out.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I've been wondering the same thing. Any suggestions please.

SLCINC LawnSite Member

I would suggest to search a few different spaces before making a decision. Try to find something in the middle of your routes. Make sure that it is affordable even in those slow months. Try to find something w office space also if possible.
  4. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I ended up with a 20x20 garage with power in a storage yard(uhual) and I had 3 outdoor spaces parking spaces for my trucks/trailers.

I kept the office at the house.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If you can afford it try to buy an acre or more just outside of city limits that way you will have all the room you need and being outside of city limits will allow you to burn unwanted lawn waste. Besides its a big tax write off if you can find some affordable land anymore.
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. Rent out a portion to another construction company to help with payments. Build a nice building on it once you're ready.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Many of the lawnsite that have properties inside the city have made out since the land appreciates very very fast. So it is a very good investment. One guy we know is retireing from lawn business after 20 years and this will be his retirement nestegg.