1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Locating around underground power lines

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TTM42, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TTM42

TTM42 LawnSite Member

I have a couple of banks that I service and was trying to find valves and the controller box is right beside where the power lines and telephone lines come into the building. Also, the lines go underneath driveways and sidewalks right beside the building along with the other wires to make it even easier. I was just wondering if anyone else had run into this as well and had any particular hints or tips to share. All I get is one big hum when I try to locate the sprinkler wire through all of these other wires, help!
  2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Sent you a pm.
  3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I'd like to hear "the rrrest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.
  4. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

call miss utility
  5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Lately I have been finding leaks in some pools with copper plumbing. I locate the copper using my pro-800 on broadcast, mark the deck over the pipe and place my Fisher XLT-16 over the path to hear the leak.

Wed i will meet with a client about a commercial pool that was built in 1961. I know the original builder quite well.
  6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

That's cool, can you hear a drip?
  7. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you forward that to me? I'm having the same problem. The signal stops right where the power line goes over head. Then when I get past it there's concrete above the irrigation wires and can't get a good signal. Best I can figure is that concrete guys nicked the wire when putting new driveway over irrigation wiring but I can't substantiate that because my 521 will not function under those conditions.
  8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Sent.. ..:)