Locating fixtures for patio

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by johnquest, Oct 13, 2006.

1. johnquest

johnquest LawnSite Member

I've been hunting for some quality path fixtures since I last posted for help on my patio project. And I got some excellent advice. Thanks all. That's here

Patio Project

The problem I'm having is that it's very difficult to find quality fixtures DIY guys like myself can afford. There's either crap at Home Cheapo or stuff that's marked way too high for consumers. There's really no midrange at all in the fixture market, or at least a midrange that falls somewhere around 40-50 dollars for a brass fixture. I've found only a couple of products "Luna Jardin" from Lightcraft and an AL-01 from focus that I can get in brass for 45 and 55 dollars. But these are from what I consider questionable Web sites and companies. I haven't made the purchase yet because I keep thinking I can find a quality supplier who will sell to me since there are some that are selling in this price range anyway.

I've called my local distributors in my area. The cheapest I can get the Focus AL-01 fixture for is $89.99. No one around here carries Lightcraft products, but a distributor in california has the Luna Jardin for $68.00. This is way too much when others are paying anywhere from 20 to 40 dollars less than these prices for them. I had three different distributors quoting me the contractor prices before I told them I'm not a contractor.

I'm not having a problem with the contractor/distributor relationship and arrangements. My problem is with the box stores. My local home depot only carries Malibu fixtures which I've never considered installing. Why go to all this work and then put in crap? The box stores have struck arrangements for the lowest price most poorly made fixtures and there's no well priced mid-range product they'll carry. So I have to compete with contractors and distributors for well made, well warrantied products.

I'm going to keep searching. My bottom line for fixtures is 40-55 dollars for brass. I don't care what brand as long as the style matches my needs and landscape. I'll go up to $200 for a 150W transformer, mutli-tap, with timer and dimmer if possible. If I'm unsuccessful then my project won't happen. From what my wife and wallet say.

2. Landscape Illuminating

Landscape Illuminating LawnSite Member
    from Maine

You'll be hard pressed to find a brass path light for $50. Your best bet might end up being ebay for some "nameless" fixtures. Good luck.

3. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

your wife and wallet are going to win this fight. When you have the $$$ to spend...Nightscapings "scottliter" is the most sophisticated path light I've seem..(copper). $132.00 +/- dollars. If you want something you can't damage with a baseball bat...cast lighting path light. Not certain on $$ amount but I am sure over $100..(brass). Either one of those you get 5-7-10 yrs out of socket assembly...unlimited on fixture. Buying something in your price range now will have you replacing some if not all in 3years, then you'll be spending the $$ you would have if you would buy the good stuff. Start putting $$ in your piggy bank.
    chris

4. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Well John, I hope everything works out for you, your wife and your wallet. Like Chris said, you can spend the $50 per fixture for some light fixture from some no name company and replace it in a few years or you can save some money and buy the good stuff and not have to replace it ever. The way I explain it to clients is like this, you can pay twice as much to do it twice or you can just do it once, right.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Quality costs money. The fixtures most of us use cost US more than what your budget is so even if you were to buy them at contractor pricing you would still be over budget.

http://outdoorlightingdirect.com/bql.htm

BQL is a nice midrange brass light. While not as nice as a cast or Kichler high end light it would fit the bill better than a malibu and at 59 bucks this is as close as your going to get to high end. There are 5 different lights you can pick from at this price range.

How many lights are you looking at getting?

http://outdoorlightingdirect.com/transformers.htm

On this page you can get either a generic transformer or a mid grade corona transformer for just a few dollars more than your budget permits however you will still need to shell out a few dollars for the timer.

Another option is contact noel at frog lights the sponsor of this site and see what he can offer you in your budget.

I hope you priced wire out because it may throw your whole job out the window with the wife and wallet. Dont over look installation supplies either like splicing components.

These lights arnt anything we would install for a client but they seem to fit your criteria nice.

If you call chuck be sure and tell him I sent ya. He will be honest with ya.

6. johnquest

I'm trying to decide among BQL lights made by Focus, SPJ Lighting, Evening Lights and Lightcraft. I can get fixtures in my price range in brass from all of these companies. Some of these come with a bayonet bulb 1141 up to an 1156 incandescent, while others come with a halogen bi-pin up to 25 W. Which bulbs are better and will work with a dimmer?

It would be great if I could find either these halogen or incandescent bulbs in other colors. I've searched and can't find any. Do they make these bulb types in other colors besides clear?

Thanks again

7. Pro-Scapes

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: no dimmer... Dont use one.

To operate effectivley your transformer needs to recive clean line voltage.

Different lights come with different bulbs because they are designed differently in thier reflective areas. The cast use 1156 bulbs so thats mainly what I use.

Which focus are you looking at in brass at your price range ?

You say others are paying 20-40 dollars less for some lights but rememeber some of the others buy 12k a month or more in lights. Your looking at a 1 time purchase.

8. johnquest

The Focus light I'm looking at is model AL-01. It comes with several different bulb options (12,18 or 25W incandescent; 10 or 20W halogen; 10 or 20W xenon) and it has different stem lengths. The other lights are similar. The SPJ fixture I'm looking at, I think, also comes with colored LEDs as an option. I'm going to call them to see if so. The light is 2W, equivalent to a 20W incandescent from what they're information says. If I can run these lights then I won't need a high wattage transformer.

The Lightcraft fixture "Luna Jardin" I can find only on one Website in my price range. There's no distributor in my area. They must be new or something. They don't have a lot of lights in their line.

It pays to dig around for adequate pricing, that's for sure. I've called all of my local distributors of these lights and none of them can come close to what I'm seeing on the Web at the sites I've found. I've given up completely on the Box store route.

9. Pro-Scapes

Just remember your getting what you pay for and also keep in mind even contractor pricing is higher than your budget on good fixtures.

Good luck with this. I still say the BQL brass is your best bet in this situation. If you want LED I beilive frog lights has a few LED's that are affordable. When you get into high end LED the price rockets.

Vista LED's can easily cost a contractor 5 to 6 times your budget per light.