Locating live underground 240v lines

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by WalkGood, Aug 16, 2011.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

They won't dig without locating the power lines first. They just wanted to know if "live" wires can be found w/o special equipment. Like with a metal detector. Otherwise they will hire a locate company.

Thanks.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

hire the locator , live a bit longer plus its cheaper than the repair

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

A 501 using the inductive clamp always worked great for me.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

hook onto ground and follow usually works for me.

5. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

This would be my route also. I think the pro 800 from armada has this option also. That said you know what your listening for, average homeowner wouldn't. As its been said the equipment is only as good as the person running it.

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Wheres ya sense of adventure. Shove a flag in the neutral and another in the hot. If nothing else , ya will never do that again.

7. irritation

I don't think so, if it does there must be a way to use a 521 with an inductive clamp.

8. S.O.Contracting

S.O.Contracting LawnSite Member

It has wireless mode so it doesn't necessarily need the clamp kinda like a 501. And the pro 800 and 521 are different animals. The pro 700 would be comparable to a 521. Greenlee doesn't have a comparable model to the pro 800.

Link to pro800 page:
    http://armadatech.com/temp_proditem.php?prodid=k5me5

9. irritation

Maybe you're right but I find it strange that a clamp isn't included or even an option.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

hiring a professional locator is like buying an insurance policy, sometimes it's a life insurance policy, sometimes not.

240vac is just 2-120vac legs at 50/60 hertz, nothing special to locating it.

i would attach to the ground and follow it, the only issue is that you can't identify the target but, the owner knows what it services so you know where you should end up at.

the inductive clamp will work for the 501, same as the pro-800 using its wireless broadcast mode. i actually like and use the broadcast mode on mine a lot. i also use the tr-4110 and the inductive clamp from my dynatel a bunch too.

metal detectors won't locate power (they detect ferromagnetic fields and not electromagnetic fields)

there were a lot of right and a few wrong replies to this thread but, a few years ago the wrong would have out numbered the right. you guys did good :)

'bout time :laugh: