Lock it or loose it! Security!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Full throttle lawn care, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

I've been a victim of theft more times then I want to remember and now that I have an inclosed trailer thats worth 20,000 with equipment I want to secure it as best I can when siting in the yard. Do you guys lock your stuff up inside? Right now I put a 3/4in cable through the tires,but still need a tong lock. Is that it or can more be done?:gunsfirin

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I think that no matter what you do if someone wants your stuff they are going to find a way....

Iv'e read horror stores about enclosed trailers on here. Guys that back them up to a wall and leave the truck hooked up to it and the ball loked on, only to come out in the am and find the truck rolled forward and the trailer GONE! Apparently good theives can unhook the transmission linkage in a truck, put it in neutral, unhook the trailer, and roll it out of the way! Nucking futs if you ask me!

I have heard of alarm systems for enclosed trailers, same as for your house, motion, door, and vibration sensors. But as any securty devices go, a person with a weapon needs to be able to respond to an alarm within a half a minute or less to actually prevent a loss.

That cable is virtually uncuttable, until some theives scope you out and come in with 2 wheels of their own and a tire iron... Removes your 2 that are cabled together and installs theirs and then BOOM, they're gone!
    Iv'e also read about guys that pulled their truck and trailer into a resturant parking lot to eat dinner and came out and had their trailer stolen while they were eating!

I am soooooooooooo thankful that I don't live in an area like that... My stuff sits basically outside, under a fenced in carport, everynight. Out of sight, but certianly not secured. So far, in 2 years Iv'e had nothing stolen here, not that I don't worry... I have motion sensor lights and can see them come on from my bedroom, providing I'm only in a light sleep... Other than that I have INSURANCE on everything!

3. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

It seems that 95% of the time a thief takes the whole trailer rather then break into it and take the contence. I'm going to see about welding a kripton shakcle to the frame. That will give me a strong locking point. I bought two new york chains that are bolt cutter proof and can't be cut. The only problem there to big to go through the rim. I need to figure something out.:pumpkin:

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

All the lock stuff aside...

Make sure your trailer is insured and the stuff inside. That way if/when they take off with it you can get it back..although it'll cost you some paperwork and a dedcutible. My insure my rider for 12k, costs around $79 bucks to insure for the year. If anything happens to it...i.e. totalled in an accident, stolen, etc. I have to pay 1,000 to basically get a new one. IMO, the pros to this far outweigh the cons.

Problem is you can't insure (that I know of) the smaller ticket items. Well, acutally you can, but it really isn't worthwhile b/c the cost to insure it is almost the same as buying it new.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I back my trailer up against a tree before I leave it for the night. That at least secures the gate and it would be a royal pita to manhandle the trailer out of that tight spot even if it's only a 6x12
    The other thing is imperative is you need the serial number to any and all of your equipment on file.

Otoh, I agree with the guy said if someone wants it bad enough... I've heard stories of guys with fancy cars put an expensive alarm system on it and they're oh-so-sure it will NEVER get stolen right when a tow-truck pulls up and takes the whole car, alarm blaring and all.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

To deactivate a car alarm, drill a hole through the side right into the battery, it drains the battery and no alarm, learned that way from a vette. Better to have an inline fuel shut off hidden. As for trailors, nothing beats a dog!

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a pit bull with AIDS?

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

this is where Dobermans and rottweilers are good security alarm/theft deterrents. come into the lot, watch your leg go bye bye. or better yet, build a good garage with a few rotts inside to secure it. almost nobody wants to deal with rottweilers.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Some of your better car alarms now come with a second battery hidden some where inside the car. This battery draining trick started happening some much alarm makers started this a few years back of having a back-up battery for the alarm. If you have a car alarm and want to put a back-up battery in for it any alarm shop can install a small battery for you.

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

there is a couple of ways to secure your trailer, or your stuff inside

if you want your trailer secure, turn it for the tongue is furthest away from the road and closest to the building.

or if you want to secure the equipment inside, back the trailer up to the side of a garage so the back doors can not be opened without pulling the trailer forward