Lock to Keep Boom From Swiveling on QC's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greendoctor, Jan 23, 2009.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Here is how I keep my walking boom from spinning at the end of the wand. The hardware is 2 U-bolt pipe hangers for 1/2" pipe and 1 backup plate for 2" pipe. That is the long piece going between the two U-bolts. There are wing nuts on the U-bolt that clamps to the wand, so the boom is easily detached for transport. Everything is stainless steel. Expensive, but not likely to corrode any time soon.

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Good Job Greendoctor. Thanks for sharing. Roy

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green

I am failing to see an advantage to a walking boom. I use a single nozzle wand about 5 ft long and am very happy with it. By swing the wand I cover about a 10 ft wide path. I have this done long enough to be fairly consistent. At 5 gallons a thousand it takes me about 2 minute per thousand on 5K lawns.

Please explain the advantage of a Walking Boom??????

4. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Only reason we use booms are for better coverage and eliminates the waving of arm action, bad on my shoulder. At my age, I just can't do it anymore from a physical standpoint.

Have used single/double nozzles where you just hold them out in front of you while walking. We're now using either 3, 4, or 5 nozzles on each boom for wider coverage, depends on lawn size and obstacles.

Just my two cents worth from me.

I've had to adapt to a situation called 'my body dictates now what I can and can't do'.

Take care,

Jimmy

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Jimmy

I am only 68 Years old, so I guess it will be another 10 years before I need a walking boom.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with Ric. I don't see any walking booms around here anymore....probably for good reason.

About twenty years ago, I had nagging pain in my right wrist, elbow, & shoulder. I had been spraying since the late 70's. It was like carpletunnel, and I even started wearing an elbow brace.

So we did away with the ChemLawn guns and switched to TeeJet lawn guns. I noticed "immediate relief", cuz the TeeJet guns weighed less than half what the ChemLawn guns weighed. That did the trick for me.