Lock your stuff up!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by andyslawns, May 17, 2002.

1. andyslawns

andyslawns LawnSite Member

Guys lock your stuff up if you keep stuff outside!! I just had a trailer stolen Tuesday. I never thought it would happen to me but wouldn't you guess!! There are some nice trailer locks out there. Some of them are expensive, But not as expensive as a new Trailer!!!. The police told me I would probably not see it again. Definatley a lesson learned!:cry:

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

how was the trailer stored??? I keep mine in a storage unit with an unbreakable lock and the storage management live on the site...

3. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

Never heard of an "unbreakable" lock! Theft is a common problem around here too. It never ceases to amaze me what a criminal will do to steal. All i can do is put a lock on it, try to keep stuff out sight, and pray nobody picks me as a target! I guess if they do, that's what insurance is for!

4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Had a buddy tell me that he went inside a resturant to eat lunch and didn't park his rig in windows view. When he returned to his truck it was minus the trailer and 20k of equipment. Locks keep honest people honest if someone really wants something they'll find a way. All you can do is try not to make it easy for a theif. Sorry to hear your loss and good luck.

5. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Had a WB Tanaka 550 edger taken off my trailer followed a few weeks later by my favorite piece of equipment,Bunton(original stuff!) HD weed-eater. At the same place,one of my commercial accounts,which I no longer have!:mad:
    One other instance,when I had the trailer disconnected from the truck. Someone tried to "hook up" to it in the middle of the night. They did not get it. What saved it from being stolen,along with all of my equipment? A $5.00 bicycle lock on the clasp. They tried to beat it with a hammer to get it off but no luck.
    All my stuff is chained and locked now,including the trailer TO my truck.

6. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Now this is going to be funny,
    Due my present situation with my divorce i have had my trailer parked outside with all my hoes, shovels, rakes, and one push mower and believe this, not one thing has come up missing in the past five months.......

I guess people in ct dont want anything to do with hard work, hehe

Anyhow, I feel bad when i hear when someone gets ripped off,,,,It sucks,,,, its not honest,,,,and i hope they find them and they go to jail...

7. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure your insurance is for what it costs to replace any equipment that is stolen. Not the "estimated" BS. I took a bath on the two pieces of equipment that were stolen from me.
    I promptly changed my coverage!

8. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

Just curious....all your hoes? Could that be the reason for the divorce?:D :D :D

9. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Take good care of those hoe's...its really bad if they get a crack...nobody likes crack hoe's.

10. anythinglawns

anythinglawns LawnSite Member

My trailer is rarely disconnected from my truck. At night I park in the driveway between the house
    and a tree then my wife parks right behind my trailer. So far no one has tried to take it (As far as I can tell) I did leave a pitch fork in the back of my truck one night. I found it 2 years later thrown in some bushes about a half a block away. People just stealing to be stealing. I have had two 5 gallon gas cans stolen. One was at the gas station when I went in to pay. Come out and now gas tank. Another was at an apartment complex I mow. I am on one end my truck on the other. A guy pulls up take the can and gas from my truck puts it in the back of his truck and takes off. I did not bother calling the cops I would have been his word against mine. In both cases I would have given the people the gas if I thought they really needed it. But it must be much more fun to take part of a mans livelihood.

Around here there have been a number of recent storage building break-ins. I am trying to think of a way to secure mine. I have a lock on it but thieves don't care about that.