1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Locke Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Apr 13, 2004.

1. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a C 125 that I bought from Williams Industries when they sold them out of Grayson Ga. He sold it to a company in Al. I think and now its sold again.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here are some of the wb tri-plex mowers. This page is from 2004. They don't make any walk behind tri-plex anymore?

3. outdoorpowerrep

outdoorpowerrep LawnSite Member

Locke mowers were once a big name in the industry. Reel mowers must be sharpened by a lap grinder. The cost of this grinding was high because it was labor intensive. Over the years rotary blade mowers became more popular because a rotary blade is much cheaper to sharpen. Golf courses still use some reel mowers. I think that the White House is still cut with reel mowers. Reel mowers gave a great cut because of the scissor like action of both blades meeting. Kind of cool to think back.

4. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

i have 3 lawns that have to be done by mine locke mower
    here in watch hill

5. chadusps

chadusps LawnSite Member

Locke was bought out by Gravely. I recently bought a cl130 Gravely reel mower. It cuts realy well. Only problem with it is that it does not really stripe that great.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

What type of turf are you mowing and what height?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. chadusps

chadusps LawnSite Member

bermuda is the only type of grass that i have cut with it. the height is usually around 1.5 inches. i can't figure out if higher or lower bermuda will stripe better. i know with my tru cut that the grass would stripe better at a lower height.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Lower stripes better (as best as you can expect with bermuda) and you have to keep going the same direction every cut. Maybe chaser will post his stripe pics using a TruCut I sold him some time ago.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Will this work?

Sorry I'm a month late with the post...

[​IMG]

10. chagh2.0

chagh2.0 LawnSite Member

Dude that is perfection.