1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Locke Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Apr 13, 2004.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Its not being mowed at 2-4". How terrible. :rolleyes:
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I know, rotary mowed warm season turf looks so much better hacked...I mean mowed!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Lots of homeowners in my parts have at least a McLane reel. Any yard service person that is serious has a reel mower or two on their truck. The only gap that I am trying to close in the industry is the treatment of large lawn areas. WAM with rotary blades are still used to the detriment of the turf.
  4. All my tif bermuda and emerald zoysia would get the treatment. Used a Kato Pro Master (out of buisness) front throw. I opted for the 10 blade reel but later learned that was little overboard. 7 blade would have sufficed. But many accounts were in Maunawili which were centi,St aug, or Hilo grass.....used the Lawnboy /or HRC. In that case the owner was more concerned with my getting out the machete and hacking back the bananas and parasitic vines from the perimeter. I wore many hats in those times.

Posted via Mobile Device
  5. chaser2587

chaser2587 LawnSite Member

Im ashamed of it
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. chadusps

chadusps LawnSite Member

Yes, Gravely did buy out Locke. One problem that the Gravely cl reel mowers have is that it comes with a rear throw shield on it. Why did Gravely do this?, I have no idea. The problem with the rear throw shield is that it causes the grass to clump up and then comes out in different areas of the yard. So, after you cut the lawn you have to go back and blow everything off. Way too time consumming. Therefore, i did some research and found out that i needed a front throw shield. Wow, problem solved. I didn't like my new Gravely/Locke reel mower at first, but i have grown to love it. I was use to my Tru Cut and it just took me a while to get the Gravely cutting like i wanted it to.
  7. tdr6874

tdr6874 LawnSite Member

where did you get your front throw shield and what was the price??? having hard time finding it for my cl130