1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Locke Reel mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nlminc, Jan 20, 2005.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Hello everyone,

I bought a commercial Locke reel c130 last summer. With the floating reel I kept having problems with it falling off adjustment and the chain would fall off while on a slope. Any solution?
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is this a new mower? I didn't know Locke was still making them. Oh, I don't know anything about them, sorry.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of cutting are you doing with this mower? Just curious, I've never heard of that brand.
  4. nlminc

from GA

I reel bermuda and Zoysia here in Georgia. Locke has been around since 1928!
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I own 6 of them for personal use. I am restoring every one. Currently the 75" model I have in is about 300 pieces.

I have a 25", 30", 70", 70", 70"w/reverse, and a 75"w/reverse

Mine are from 1961 to 1976 so I really can't help you. But these guys can

www.lockenest.com Jim has a barn full of old lockes mowers www.jmmower.com Jim and Mike used to both work for locke, they have all the old molds, sharping equipment and know how to fix any locke.

nlminc I have seen a 1938 model. Jim of JM mowers has a 1930 model.

Also they cut the White House with 4 - 75" locke reel mowers.
  6. nlminc

from GA

Thanks for the links! I have one of the latest commercial models. I don't even know many companies in this are who use them. Most use the tru-cut reel mowers. I choose the Locke because if it's floating reel and beefier build. Plus the price difference is more than double a tru-cut which are not as nice.