Locked In An Advertising Contract???

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Green Dreams, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Greetings All....Like a dumbarse, I signed a deal with a local magazine/ad rag. Its one of those that put in a few articles about local happenings and sells a bunch of ads to go in it.

I would get their publication in my mail box at home. Thats how I found them. They also leave their rags at Tune up shops, Drs offices,ect. Bonus!

So I pay for an add ($700) and its to hit on the first. On the 15th I write in and ask "Where's it at?" I have friends in other zip codes here who never got one. I never got one. I wirte in and she says "its been out for 2 weeks."

Okay...if its out then why didn't I get a mag in the mail? Why has no one else I know seen it? Why did I never get ONE call from it? Yes...I ask every caller where they found me. NONE said their mag.

Fine...I go with another run and same result...I never got a mag in the mail at home. NONE of my friends have either and once again NO CALLS.

I had even wrote in to the owner as to where I could expect this to be mailed. NO REPLY.

Finally they want $$$ again and guess what...they have time for me. Seems they only mail to a portion of my area. They say 20,000+ homes. That to me should be the vast majority of homes here. They also say there are 50k+ homes here.

Bottomline is I could have smoked $1400 worth of crack and got the same results. They were nice til I signed...then SEE YA. I paid for 2 ads and got 2 ads. I figure if they sued me it couldn't be for more than $3500 per the crud I signed. They nailed me good.

"I'm always nicer to the fish in the water than the ones in the cooler."

Anybody else had any experience like this?

Thanks

2. Green Dreams

from Texas

Anybody have any thoughts on getting rid of them???

Thanks

3. SilkKnitter

SilkKnitter LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

Read over your contract!!! read every word as is.

then see what you can do from there. I would be more then happy to read it for ya and see if i spy a loophole or something. I just know there is a way out. Also check into the laws.

4. Green Dreams

from Texas

Thanks. It was pretty basic. I don't even think I got a copy. I expected 2-3 calls a week if it was being mass mailed as I believed.

Like I said...I got zero and they were sheety to boot.