Locking bids before buying equip't

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcoat, Mar 23, 2000.

1. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I know it's a little late, but I decided this week to enter the business and need to establish customers. Here is my main question: I want to establish my customer- base before laying out the money for a new walk-behind, trailer and blower. Getting out, making bids, marketing, appearance and rapport building aren't obstacles for me to overcome, but will the customers want to see the equipment before agreeing upon a contract? I just want to know how many of you started business this way. (Note: I already know the equipment w/ prices I will be using and the costs involved in maintaining a sound balance sheet. Also, these will be residential accounts).

2. I have never had a customer ask to see what kind of equipment I use. I let them know that I have the proper equipment and the knowledge to get the job done right and make it look good. Most customers are concerned about 2 things price and appearance. If it looks great most don't care about the price, only that it looks better than &quot;Joe Blo&quot; next door. <p>----------<br>Richard @ Davis Total Lawn Care<br>http://townserver.com/dtlc

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

When I started out, I had customers ask what equipment I used, but none of them ever asked to see the equipment. The sooner you start looking for customers, the better off you will be. Most of them have already decided who will be mowing their lawns this season. During the season, there are always customers that are looking to replace who is doing their lawns if they are dissatisfied with their current mowing company. The sooner you start, the better off you will be though.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

4. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

I appreciate the input guys... also, I forgot to mention this will be for a second income.

5. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

It works like a charm. I had no trouble what soever. I was able to build about 15 yards before i had my equipment. I would suggest some truck signs so they can see that. It will help show some professionalism. You should have got started on it about a month ago before the grass got going.<br>Dingo