locking mowers

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rfed32, Jun 9, 2006.

1. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

whats a good way to lock mowers onto your trailers over night, or while at lunch or if you have a full time job and landscape on the side??

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

umm? very heavy duty chain through the frame and biggest padlock possible? chain it directly to the trailer frame.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you're talking ztr's or other full size machines, I don't. If I think it's a hazardous area, I might lock the liftgate or back the trailer up against something. Pretty hard to pick a 1200 lb. machine up over the rails.

If you're talking small push mowers, cable locks at Lowe's are pretty good.
    :)

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I bought the round Master Lock padlocks from Home Depot. Buy a set of them, or even the whole box because the whole box is keyed with the same key code. I bought a bunch so I could lock everything up & use the same key for all of them.

5. rfed32

from Hatboro

so pad locks and chains...thanks a lot guys....any other ideas please post

6. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

With small stuff (21in mowers, gas cans) we use bike locks(cables). With the larger mowers we take the keys out.

7. rfed32

from Hatboro

but the thing with the keys cant you go to a dealer and get a key for it that will work??i know you can do that for big equip. so if someone just has a key to every brand then bam my stuff is gone

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Try checking out this website. I purchased one of these. It installs in seconds and makes the mower in operable. http://www.alphalock.com/ You can also take a padlock and install it ina way that you can't either move the sticks from the locked position or where it keeps the parking brake from being released. I did this on my scag. but I don't know what other mowers look like.

9. carcrz

Just use the chains on the smaller stuff. I put the round locks through where the flip pins (???) go that hold the tailgate up. The only way those bad boys are coming off is w/ a grinder.

10. carcrz

On a further note, don't use chains. Instead use cables. They are more of a theft deterrent because you can't cut them w/ bolt cutters. You can however use a saw or grinder.