locking up equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rplc, Mar 10, 2006.

1. rplc

rplc LawnSite Member

I have an open trailer with locks on my trimmers and blowers but when I am cutting I unlock them. It slows me down to have to keep locking and ulocking each piece of equipment when it is needed. What do you guys do to keep your equipment locked and also make it quick and easy.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Used to work for a guy that would use those spring loaded clip things like you see at home depot, the large ones. Well, we would put a combination lock on the clip with a nylon zip tie holding it up halfway and the would just put the quick clip into the hole. Worked like a charm, appeared to be locked from 5feet or more; enough to dissuade any burglers but were fast and easy to unlock.

3. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Not worth it for me to cut in hoods that steal.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Put them all in one long box..that way ya only have to unlock on theing..the box and relock it after removing what you need

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We lock and unlock every piece of equipment every time we use it. After you have a few hundred dollars of equipment taken, the locking gets a lot easier. We got professional locks and keys for all workers and they aren't bad. Closed trailer is nice but them you got to open/close the back door every time someone needs equipment.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Lock everything all the time. Get a single key for all, get a spring clip on your belt for the key so it is easy to use or even one of those keys on a retractable line. WD40 the locks so they work easy and it will be a lot faster than going to buy a new trimmer to finish a job.

"Not worth it for me to cut in hoods that steal."

That hood does not exist:laugh:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have learned you do not want to assume people in rich hoods don't steal, and do not assume that people in poor hoods do. Because you can have your equipment gone as fast (if not faster) in the million-dollar neighborhood than down in the hood, I am not joking.

So careful with that attitude please, it can cost you your backpack blower.

It frustrates me to have to lock the equipment up, too, it does eat time and it really bites. One thing I've learned is keep the lock on the chain but just drape the chain around the equipment and make it look like it's all locked up (the lock, however, isn't actually connecting two links, it's just draped around in such a way that it looks like it is). What I found over time is the folks who like to look inside my truck (I hate that crap, why people gotta stare where there's equipment), they move along pretty quick as soon as they spot the chain (and obviously, I'm usually aware that they're looking in there, and some can spot me looking at them). I've even gotten into the mode where sometimes someone comes along (and I don't care if it's a nice neighborhood) and they are going to look in the back of the bed, and soon as they do, I stop doing whatever I'm doing and I just stand there and look at them. That one works wonders over time.

Never bring along extra stuff you don't need that day. I leave everything I do not need at home, I only bring the stuff I am going to be using that day, and I usually am lucky enough I can plan entire days of doing just one thing (i.e.: all grass-cutting Monday, Tuesday is all mulch all day long ,etc...) This keeps dollars at home.

Another thing I did this past year is I bought a large dernier tarp (7 x 9 or 8 x 10) which I use to drape all over the top of the equipment in the bed of the truck. This not only keeps the equipment out of sight, but helps protect it from the elements. Meanwhile, you don't want me to catch you lifting that tarp to google up under it so there's technically nothing there for you to see.

So, always keep an eye in the back of your head pointed at your stuff and keep padlocks hanging all over the place. I have padlocks hanging on the chains that hold the gate of the trailer, they're almost never locked but they're there and they're a gold color that stands out against the black steel of the trailer.

Equipment safety is a perception, it doesn't have to be literal, but it has to really look like you don't / can't mess with this.

8. AboveTheCut

AboveTheCut LawnSite Member

trimmers, edgers are all locked with one lock and loads and unloads very fast. one of the best purchases i have made.
    good luck.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We lock every thing with a single master number 5 or we shut the back door to the trailer unless you have big accounts looks like you could keep your eye on your trailer.