Locking up new mowing accts for 08

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 7, 2007.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

What is everyone's opinions on attempting to snag new business mowing accounts for the next season at the end of the previous season? For me, putting a blitz on now to get some biz starting Spring of 08? I am looking for a few new residential customers who will at least give me a verbal (I live in a small town where verbals still mean something) NOW so that I feel better about my acct level heading into 2008? Or are commercial accts more receptive? I am not certain about how successful this will be and am looking for opinions. Thanks!

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've had success turning 'one time' leaf jobs into mowing accounts for the following season...I think I had about 5 leaf jobs last season that went with me for mowing this season. Most of them already had a company mowing for them but since their leaf removal was relatively small, the old company had put them on the back burner and concentrated on the bigger jobs.

As for commericial accounts, just contact some of them and see if they are taking bids...most of them won't sign on with you now, if they are taking bids, they will want to take bids. But the earlier you find out how the process works with them, the better.

3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

NEVER STOP ADVERTISING. I put out flyers just about everyday...mostly for Landscaping, but I get a lot of calls for general mtce. I always think to myself that while I am sitting on my @$$ that there is someone out there passing out flyers and cards and that keeps me motivated. General Mtce is important, but keeping your name out there is even more important. There are some neighborhoods that I have put flyers on maybe 2 or 3 times. Eventually, when their current LCO drops the ball, my name should be sort of familiar.

4. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

I started running ads a month ago. I do it when customers start requesting the cutting service frequency be cut in half. I fill in the schedule gaps with new customers and start dropping the garbage ones. By the time spring comes around I've already decided whom I want to keep and whom will get the axe. Then I lock them in and ride the season out.
    Repeat.

5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

contract will solve that problem

6. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

6 month contracts.
    It's not a problem, it's a system.
    And I love it.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Perfect advice. I generally follow this mentality. We have become very busy in the last couple months. No, not busy enough, but there's a noticeable increase in my workload.

8. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

my only 2 forms of advertisemet are word of mouth and ..... my work. i'm always looking for new accounts. i still have a couple accounts i'd rather do without and replace with better ones. as for next year i'm going to start taking WEEKLY ACCOUNTS ONLY!!!! the bi-weekly accounts i have currently are the only ones i'm keeping because of the customers. they are fantastic customers and are NEVER late with payment. matter of fact.... a couple of them prepay at the beginning of each month :)

9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks to all for the valuable advice so far....
    Getting some new business accounts locked in before winter would give me some peace of mind. This was my first year in biz, still building from ground up....