locking up the trailer (found a place)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, May 23, 2002.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey guys, as mentioned in a previous thread i was looking for a shop. My family is moving (about 5 minutes away) and we will be 2 blocks (a couple hundred feet) from the firehouse (very active and dedicated member). well anyways, the closest storage place is about 10 minutes drive, and im not having much luck finding a local garage, there is one more guy i have to check with though. anyways across street from firehouse is a plumber and a landscaper who share a big 3 car garage with a big bay that runs along the back of those 3, and the property has a big parking lot. well the guy said i could rent a parking spot or two for about $50 a month. i couldnt ask for a better location for i spend most of my time at firehouse and live very very close to it, also most lawns are right in this area. what do you guys thinK? i would lock up the trailer, and put a tarp over it, i want to leave equip on the trailer, whats the best way to lock every thing up? put a chain through it all or what?
  2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would put the biggest chain/cable i could find on my stuff, better safe than stolen:(

good luck with your business deal:)
  3. stslawncare

from DE

which is better? cable or chain? does going through the equip or wrapping it work better?
  4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Just something to think about, check out this thread;
    Stolen Equipment
    You may want to look for an indoor storage area, even if it's further away.

Ok, I get it, can't post the names of other lawn forums here. Well there's a post on another board about someone that had his trailer and equipment stolen from his driveway.
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Both and two more but if someone wants something, you know that it is gone.
    Check out the bolt cutters that you have on your engine Scottie and you will know why they call it "the master key".

Make it as hard as possible for someone to steal it. Good Luck.
  6. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, I see your point
    First if you are insured against theft of your equipment then I would consult with your insurence agent to see if they will cover against theft when it is not locked in a building, there are many loop holes in policies these days. If they will covewr then I would buy cables that are aircraft quality because they are a lot harder to cut than hardware store utility cable. Also buy the monster locks , you know the big Master locks that look like they were designed to lock up Fort Knox. When you put the clamps on your cables torque the nuts down solid then find someone to put some small welds in the nuts on the clamps. I have seen guys in my area and heard of some in other areas around here that have built cables for the purpose of locking up their machines and then had the stuff stolen because the theifs were smart enough to unscrew the two nuts off the clamps and take everything anyway
    Also for handhelds ( trimmers, stick edgers, longshaft hedge trimmers) I would get a trimmer trap and again weld the nuts on the bolts after you attach it to the trailer, also buy a superior pad lock for the trap . Good Luck, Hope it works out for you
  7. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

That was me randy. I had a 1/2" braided steel cable and locks on everything. I looped the cable through the wheel. As Mow Ed mentioned the "master key" make all of that irrelevant. If they want it they will get it. I will be renting a secure locked storage unit from now on, should I decide to get back into it.

Out of sight out of mind maybe.

8. stslawncare

from DE

yes very good points everyone, one thing that i hope will deter everyone is the fact that its right next to the firehouse, also that will help because the "coffee room" )where everyone hangs out) faces the parking lot so if they see anyone messing with it they will do something (i hope), i will also be covering it with a tarp so hopefully that will help deter theifs, my plan is to lock the tarp to the trailer, lock the trailer up, and lock the equipment on the trailer to the trailer.my main equipment will most likely be kept in the storage unit at my apartment. we will see what happens, im still checking on a few garages, also the closest storage place is yet to return my phone calls after 3 messages (a message a day).
  9. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lock you can buy that slides over the trailer coupling for about $30. No bolt cutter will get it, jaws of life ? Maybe. I'll surf for a photo or dealer to post.
  10. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member