Locktite on blades ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffyr, Jun 8, 2001.

1. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

In another post someone mentioned having a blade come off because locktite was not put on one time.

Does anybody put locktite on ? The convex washers and lockwashers are enough to keep the bolts on......no?

2. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I never heard of doing the loctite thing on mower blades. This is my 8'th year at this, and never lost a blade.

Scott

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The correct blade and washers must be present and if a guy wants to be safe he will get a torque wrench. But before all of this he will sit down and read the owners manual to see the torque setting and procedure for replacing blades.
    I have never lost a blade or had one come loose but I have heard of people doing less than smart things to their mowers, loctite is another one of these.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I agree with scott! somebody, somewhere aint doing something right if they are losing mower blades! AAAAAGGGHHHH!!! THERE GOES MY LEG!!!

GEO

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I do the opposite, I lubricate my bolts and clean out all the nicks in the threads with a tap and die so they turn in and out real easy. I have never had a bolt come loose. My guess is, this member hand tightened a bolt forgot to tighten a bolt with the wrench and when this member shut the blades off, it unscrewed.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

thats what i do eric,you must be doing something right
    later:D

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Had an edger blade come off once.........well not me........somebody that I know............yep..........flew off and stuck in the side of a Church Van!:angel:

Loc-Tite is a chemical used to prevent bolts and nuts(nuts and bolts) from loosening.........but not when you want to remove them every day or at least every other day. Ain't never put nairn on my mower blades, don't reckon I ever will..........til they come up with a blade that lasts the life of da mowa........I wish.

8. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

Homer, be careful what you wish for, they may reduce the life of the mower to match the blade life!
    loctite is a very good product, and it would work great for mower blades (nutlocker) but the setup time of the chemical would be up in about the same time that you would be ready to pull the blades again. LOL
    David
    the loctite king...

9. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I've never heard of a mower blade coming off or even working loose for that matter. Seems like even if it did, the blade would stop turning with the spindle and you would notice it long before it came off. Even if you hit something solid in a lawn, the blade seems to get knocked tighter, not looser. I could be wrong though, Russ

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You hit the nail right on the head Grassman. I did, for some reason, have a blade come loose last year and all it did was spin. The danger in blades is when they break while they are rotating at over 200 mph.