1. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Why is it that any joe shmoe can get pre emergent weed products w/ .17% dithiopyr, high ai of ibifenthrin, carbaryl.. at any loews with no problem, no education and no hassle from dep? Something wrong there.
    -Jay

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The laws do not govern what chemicals you can buy to use on your own lawn, they govern those that you use on someone else's. Even Roundup is illegal to use without a license (on someone else's lawn). That doesn't mean you can't buy it for yourself.

3. Shades of Green LService

I Know that. Just seems to me that they should be monitoring what they are letting people apply to the environment that have no F'ing idea what they are doing. I'm well aware of the Laws.
    -Jay

4. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

Shades I agree. Why should it be different. If they are worried about the "enivironment" then lets see it. More homeowners put down too much fert than most lco's.

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with you. I called the NY DEC 2 years ago about Dimension and other RUP products being sold at Home Depot. I got told that it is perfectly legal for a homeowner to buy products that we need a license for. WHY? Three words on our bags "for commercial use" these are left off the bags sent to the box stores.

They regulate the crap out of us and let Harry Homeowner apply twice the labeled rate b/c twice as much must be twice as good.

It sucks and there is nothing we can do about it.

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, then I agree. It should be regulated. The problem is that the property is the homeowners and there are very few environmental policies to date that will control what you do to your own property. Only within the last 2 decades have they began to regulate the factory and auto emissions. I'd say we have another 10 years to go before they get around to agricultural emissions. As for the battery they give their lawns, it's hard t regulate soil balances on residential grounds.

I still agree though.

7. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Lot of water in this town. Hell, hot water just bubbles up. 3 huge lakes in the city limits.

At least half of the houses in this town are within a national park.

And yet, any yahoo with some money can stumble into Lowes or Home depot and release pesticides into the atmosphere with impunity. It's really senseless.

Why does it happen? Cause the pople who manufacture and sell pesticides have much better lobbyists than we do.

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, you are missing the big picture. I'll spell it out

M O N E Y

Do you realize how much money these co.s are making selling their products directly to the homeowner? They would never allow laws to be passed against that end of their business so they lobby the politicians big time. Now at the same time the environmentalists want action taken to stop these chemicals from being applied so to appease them the government says OK we will go after the lawn care companies and restrict them.

You guys are absolutely correct in saying that it makes no sense that uncertified, uneducated joe shmoe homeowner can go out and dump Scotts weed and feed at twice the recommended rate on a dry lawn 3 hours before a heavy rain. Or dump halts down on mature crabgrass. Hello?

If we really want to make out in this we should find a way to join the environmentalists and say hey, hears why only allowing us to apply these products will reduce pesticide usage by 50% or more. Then all of these homeowners will be forced to hire us and we will all be millionaires.

If anyone can figure out a way to make this happen, let us know.

9. ccash

ccash Banned

here in nc the home owner has to get a Private applicators license to use restricted use pesticides at home.

10. Shades of Green LService

Indeed, was kinda a retorical question.Turf, You got mail.
    -Jay