log retain wall help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by burninbill, Jan 28, 2008.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I need some help on what I should do to this retain wall. The customer doesn't want to block the veiw to the pond from there pool. However wants to cover up the wall some what(not totally but to kind of soften it up a bit). The only problem is that the wall is taller on one side and it is about 85% shade. I am not asking for someone to design, just maybe some plant material options. We are in Shelbyville, Kentucky.

Thanks for any help,

2. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

Got any pics?

3. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

sorry i new i forgot something DSC02807.jpg

DSC02807.jpg

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, I really like the way that wall looks. I hope you don't have to cover it up too much.

5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Looks to me like that wall is kinda funky already, some of the uprights aren't level, and it kinda looks like it's pushing over a bit, that might just be the photo....how is that wall anchored ???? I don't see any deadmen like you see in timber wall ??? I am not trying to be critcal as I like the look of the wall but I am really curious as to the design and what is "behind the scenes" on that one.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The front vertical posts should be the main support with stone and drain run behind it as per any other wall. Geogrid would be a viable option for additional stability---not sure it would be used here though.

7. Omaha Lawnguy

Omaha Lawnguy LawnSite Member

Where is the pond in relation to this pool? Are there stairs coming through the wall? What's the main access point to the lower level. How much space is there between the wall and the pool? May consider a mixture of planting above and below wall. If done right, above the wall plantings could have the same softening effect as items in front of the wall with out taking so much away from the wall itself.