loggin in and out of equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AintNoFun, Dec 22, 2005.

1. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

question for some of you with multiple crews. what methods do you guys use to keep track of your equipment. we are running 4 crews - 3 cutting, 1 landscaping. i think the honor system isn't working to well. guys are always leaving shovels/rakes behind etc. Seems like a couple of blowers and weedwackers have slowly dissappeard throughout the season. any ideas?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you, are you at an office, at your house, where do you run your business out of. If the crews were returning to where you were, ide check their truck and trailer to make sure everything was there before the employees left, run down a checklist, just my .02 though, its tough when that stuff happens.

3. AintNoFun

out of an office/shop.. but im not always around when each crew comes back cuz they are back at all different times...

4. cash_money

cash_money LawnSite Member
    from usa

are you trying to see if they are doing the work you gave them to do? if so come in before everyone check hours on the machines and miles on the trucks and then when they get back check to see if they went up.

5. AintNoFun

nah i know they get the work done, they write the times on the schedules and the times are compared to the weeks before to see if there are any problems...

im talkin about keeping track of what equipment is where and who has it... so one crew takes 4 weed whips the others have 3 each. one had 4 backpacks the other has 5 the landscape crew has a paver saw, 3 wheelbarrows, shovels etc, etc, etc...

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you may need to resort to field logs and shop logs for the equipment.

Office logs so you know what leaves and what returns.
    Field logs so they know what leaves the rig for the job and what returns before they leave.

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I would make them sign in and out equipment everyday and what comes up missing take it out of there pay check...lets say you have crew A with 4 guys then they loose a 400$ BP blower divide 400 by 4 and make them pay for the equipment.. i think that would make them a little more cautious ..Just a thought

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Legally, you can't do that.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

pretty muck isnt that just one of the cost of business, that suck, or can you really do much about it, other then the signing in and out sheets...

10. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

i give incentives to everyone. crew leaders get incentives for quality, production rate, and equipment care and retention. on the other side, they know it a bunch of euip is not coming back, their job is on the line.