1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LOGO help

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HarryD, Jan 22, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

gunna try and make my own logo , just got publisher and not sure where to start . any help and info would be great
  2. turfmarketing

turfmarketing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Good luck. Obviously, I would recommend using a professional service or at least some professional graphics, but if you insist on doing it yourself, here are some tips;

Forget everything you know about the turf business. You are developing an image for the people outside the industry.

Think about other logos you've seen that you liked. Don't restrict yourself to the green industry. Your logo (image) will be competing in the minds of your target customers with the pizza shop, dry cleaners, auto dealer, etc.--Many logos, and other marketing material, are executed poorly because the author or their client insists on viewing the material with blinders on.

Think about all the applications and necessary reproduction techniques needed. Remember that this logo should reproduce well in only one or two colors, must be capable of being put on a shirt or hat, should reproduce cleanly when you print it from your laser printer, etc.

And last, but not least, keep it simple and clean.
  3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Bring publisher back and get Adobe Illustrator, Then buy a book.
  4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto ksland's & Turfmarketing's posts!!!
  5. HarryD

ok I got adobe illustrator . you think the book will help alot ksland . I saw what you designed and was impressed . I probly will go with a pro because I would like it to really stand out . but thought I would mess around first . only time on my hands right now ;)
  6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Can't wait to see what you come up with.
  7. HarryD

WOW im gunna need a book with adobe dont know where to start hehe :D
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

How about those teeth and eyes in your avatar, as I scroll down the posts I know immediately that it is you without looking at your name.
  9. loganshardscape

loganshardscape LawnSite Member

10. turfmarketing

turfmarketing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Be careful of the $20 logo places. Many of these logos look great on the computer screen in full color. But consider business card and stationary reproduction. The cost for 4-color printing can be hundreds and thousands of dollars more than one or two-color printing. And since their logos aren't designed to work in one or two color (which actually takes longer to do right), if you convert it yourself, it'll look pretty bad. This doesn't even consider shirts, signs, etc.

Basically those shops create quick and dirty illustrations designed to catch the business-owner eye and not worry about the long-term aspects of using the image on a consistant basis. Kind of like the fishing lure. Is it designed to attract the fish or the fisherman.