Logo question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brjohnso, Apr 14, 2006.

1. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

I had a post earlier in this forum discussing equipment while thinking of venturing into the business. Well, I'm going into business with a friend... we're both in college, but we really want this to be something that takes off and succeeds. We now have a trailer, 2 trimmers, 1 edger, a blower, a 42" WB, and a Deere rider. We were going to put out flyers this weekend, but I had a question concerning the logo. It sounds as if making the flyer look as good as possible is a key to getting customers' calls. Well, I was wondering if its worth $150-$200 for a logo to be professionally done. One Memphis company quoted me $150 for two choices... an online logo company quoted me $200 for 4 choices (saw a few lawn care examples... looked great). One company on the internet has predesigned logos for $25 where you just give them your company name and/or motto and it's set up for you. Those look pretty good, but not as good as the examples from the other two places I mentioned. Just wondering if buying a logo would be worth its invesment... as of now... all we have is integrating clipart together.

Other ideas we have decided upon:
    - Getting about 10 t-shirts done... two for on the job work... also have a dress code (khacki shorts with ankle socks or jeans and tennis shoes) in order to keep up professionalism on the job.
    - Car magnets for the truck (his next door neighbor owns a signs shop... getting them at a much discounted price)
    - Signs (that you usually see by lumber companies when the house is in the framing stage) displaying "Another quality job by..." then has the logo and contact information. Thinking once the yards getting looking really good, we'lll handpick a few for this and work something out with the homeowner. We'll also have a few that just have logo and contact information to place selectively around suburbs.
    - Professional business cards... once we decide on the logo issue we can get over 200 for 10 to 15 bucks.
    - Use QuickBooks Pro for invoicing... going to incorporate the logo

Any other ideas or any advice and/or criticisms would be much appreciated.
  2. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

Anyone? Thanks in advance.
  3. wilkins45

wilkins45 LawnSite Member

There are lots of talented college students and other just out of college that can design a great logo.

I designed my own in the past but I am in the process of changing mine.

I'll be having someone from my work do it who has years of experience. He charges around $45 per hour. But he is very good.

I would not use the pre-fab type of logos. I don't like the look of 90% of them.

Image is everything. Spend the money because you will have a logo for years. I've looked at all the main sites on the internet and nothing intrigued me.

Look local.

Jay Wilkins