Long bathroom breaks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by seabee24, Aug 21, 2013.

1. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys deal with employees that take long bathroom breaks? I don't want to sound like an a$$ and say hey dude, punch out to take #2. I realize that we hire humans and that is part of the territory.

I have a new guy that likes to wonder off a job site twice per day while on the clock to use the bathroom. Crew leader is reporting him being gone 20 mins, 30 mins, 45 mins.

2. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

Terminate. Clearly, they don't want to be there working.

3. Clippers PLS

Clippers PLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Hire robots. But really. Maybe he has stomach problems or something. 20 minutes on a bad day is understandable but much more than.that and they are gone. Especially if it is a reoccuring thing

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Leave him and tell him later, thought you quit and walked off the job. You were nowhere to be found. That's ridiculous!

5. seabee24

I can understand on certain days, heck i run into that problem every now and then as well. But its been on going for last week.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

If the bathroom is portable block the door and push it over.

7. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Ok, hate to be the one to tell you this but he definitely has a drug problem.... Like the guys above have already said, 20 minutes here and there could be explained. But two twenty minute breaks during the day like clockwork? Drugs... Nobody has to go to the bathroom that much. And on the flip side, nobody who is a true slacker would take 20 minute breaks... they would be more like 45 minutes if they were just stupid and lazy... No, this guy is flying as fast as he can to get to his dealer, get down, and get back to the crew.
    You can nonchalantly check his arms for track marks, look at his pupils, or you could just follow him and see what he is up to... Either way, he is getting high... P.M me if you have any more questions but I have dealt with substance abuse people all my life... Remember though, he isn't just a "junkie" ..... He has a real disease and needs help... The sooner he gets it the better... And you DO NOT want him working for you when he is high..... Nodding out on the ZTR is a lawsuit waiting to happen......

8. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

bingo winner!

9. seabee24

Knowing the guy, I highly doubt he's getting high. And he does go use the bathroom (although I guess I'll never know what he is actually doing). I was with once, we stopped at a store, I got a few waters, he used the bathroom. But took forever.

He's also is the type that would be distracted by shiny objects easy, so I'm sure the stores he's walking into grab his attention

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe he's having a date with his hand?