Long Distance Calling

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by coif_kid, Feb 28, 2005.

1. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I'm wondering if potential customers will decide not to call when they find out that my number is long distance. I am a local guy, but I use my cell phone and am often in the long distance area. What are your opinions?

2. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Funny you post this. I am on the phone right now with my phone co. I am currently expanding and will be working in a long distance area as well. I was thinking along the same lines as you about customers not wanting to call long distance as easy. I am doing what they call market expansion. It is a local # in the city where I am working and gets forwarded to my cell phone. For $25 a month, I fugured it's worth a try.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Is where you work and your cell phone area code different?

4. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

carefull with that forwarding to your cell phone. I did that but what they didnt tell me was that everytime you forward to a cell phone if you cell phone is long distance for that number you pay the long distance fee everytime someone calls you.

5. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

If nextel is in your area you may want to give them a call. They have a duel line feature on there phones where you can have a totally different area code and number with only one phone.

6. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Unfortunately, there is a signifigant difference btween where the cell phone is based and where my target area is. I'm thinking there might be small difference in calls, but nothing huge?

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have 2 differnt numbers with different area codes. my cell phone is not long distance in either area code. my office is long distance to some people but hey i am not waste hundreds on dollars on phone service.

8. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Unfortunately, I'm not close enough to my lawn cutting area for that to work. I guess what I'm asking is do you think people will not call once they find out my number is long distance?

9. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Why not get an 800 number @ $0.07 per minute w/6 second billing? Even if it went to voice mail you can call them right back on your cell phone which should have free long distance.

10. coif_kid

coif_kid LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

The only problem with that is all my business cards have my cell phone number on them. I would have to have the cell call forward the 1 800 number, which I'm not sure how that would work seeing I'm in University in res.