1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Long Hot day, and I am not pleased

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimbo, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I am so tired of this heat, and scorched ground. I skipped one of my small commercials last week because they called and said the grass had not grown.
    well I went this week because as you know the grass still grows around the edges....why I dont know.
    When I got there I saw a few stringers and thought I might as well mow it in case they dont want me to mow next week. The front of the property looks ok, but when I went to the back I saw my tire tracks from last week.
    The tracks were REAL BAD!!! I felt so bad and I feel like I didnt do a good job, but I guess there is nothing that can be done. You have to mow it sometime...right?
    I felt so bad I had to run some water on the tracks even though we are not allowed to water due to drought restrictions.
    Just had to vent a little to some people who would understand.

None of the props I do have sprinklers and if they did they would not be allowed to use them anyway.

Jim:angry: ::
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

On some properties we've been able to mow only parts of the lawn, by following the previous pattern so that it is not obvious that we've only mowed part of the lawn.

Last week I had a customer call up about wheel marks in the lawn. This is a multi-million dollar property, but they've been having problems with the irrigation system (along with half of my other customers this summer!). I showed up to look it over, and it is a small area, BUT right next to the main entrance. The wheel marks looked like we applied Roundup using the mowers. It was incredibly bad (but it is recovering quickly with proper irrigation).

With this weather, even the irrigated lawns are having trouble!
  3. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Vent on Jimbo, we are here for each other. Though we're not experiencing the drought like others right now, I understand the frustration. This is our best summer in years as far as the weather has been. I wish you the best.
  4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: real bad here in central jersey as well. not much you can do for the tracks jimbo, pray for a nice cool soaking rain, without rain its gonna be real hard to do seeedings this year we usually start last week of august doesnt look that way this year. t
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on the tracks being brown. I've been moving over a foot or so from my normal edge mow pattern. Another thing that I never really thought about is that with my 48 inch WB, the inside tire track from one pass gets run over again by the outside tire track when I go other way, as the deck sticks out very little from the wheels. If my deck was a bit larger, my tire tracks wouldn't be overlapping and would be better for the turf. This is something I've never seen mentioned on this site.
  6. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I dunno what to say, other than whooo-wheee is it hot out. And it's not even the heat, but the humidity that makes it where you just can't breathe all too good.

I did do something different today for the first time that helped.

I trimmed all my properties first, then mowed, then blew.

Usually I mow, then trim, then blow.

I find that when trimming, I get alot of stuff on me, and then there is no time for it to fall off cause I get real hot trimming, and then blowing is quick, so I always hop in the truck filthy.

Today trimming first, allowed me to get covered with clippings and them they fall off and by the time I blow off, they were gone. I guess riding behind the dry heat of the mower helped dry things off.

I also wore shorts today and put on full-legged chapps that go on via Velcro on for the trimming part. So it was a good routine..

Jump out of the truck cool from the A/C. Put on the chapps and trim right away.. Break into a sweat.. Tear off the chapps, feel cooler, mow the lawn and dry off, and then blow off and onto the next one..

Being I'm using a smaller mower, I'm not too terrible at leaving tire track marks, but I know what you guys are talking about. What we really need is like 3 Nor-easter storms here in NJ in a row, spread out like 3 days apart. <G>

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just think of the $$$$ to be made in sept and oct thatching and power seeding......i cant wait
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

What's up with these tire tracks? I had a customer today ask me if the mower was
    1. Too heavy?

2. Too hot and the heat was killing the grass?

3. Was I mowing too short?

I've been thinking somehow, some way, I've been spewing gas all over the place..............yes it does look like round up but only in places........why not every where?

I asked the man of the house? when the last time it was he fertilized. His answer was November! This yard is a mix of centipede and St. Augustine. The centipede is doing great but the Augustine is having some real issues with living. I tried to let him know that it needed fertilizing more often than once and especially not in November! I also wonder if it's possible to have a infected spot in a yard then slowly carry the bad into the good areas and create more damage this way, hence ..........the round up looking tire trackin' dead areas.
    The difference down here is we had quite a bit of good rain a couple weeks ago and then it got dry really fast. The grass shouldn't have been affected that quickly. But............my yard ain't doin' it and I run the same mower over it too.

Confused...........as usual.
  9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

homer these are confusing times at least for me. doesnt seem like i got any past experiences to reference ,for an answer.
    but brother we will get thru it.
    mabe the answer is to just leave it be ,an let what happens, happen.that dont pay the bills tho ,does it . good luck.
    its rained here three days in a row.:) :) :) :) :) :)
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Homer - I think the brown tire tracks are just because it's an additional stress on already stressed out turf. Think of how you'd feel if someone ran you over while you were already hot and thirsty:) It certainly wouldn't help! Kind of like the straw that broke the camel's back. It won't matter as much in shady areas or areas with rich soil, but really shows in sunny/dry/sandy areas where the turf is already struggling.