Long Hot DRY summer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 27, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure but a feeling that a long hot dry summer is heading this way...Indiana..... It is a odd feeling I am getting...anybody seen a long range forcast?

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Not sure about long range , but , here in northern Alberta, Canada we have had no moisture all winter... I was only out plowing twice all winter and that was in December...no rain at all this spring so far, strange indeed... we need rain in the worst way.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

There not calling for a drought in a the southeast. But it doesnt seem back to normal yet. 2 weeks between rains is not good. Seems the La nina is still hanging around in the north west pacific and thats contributing to the drought like condition in parts of the midwest, pacific northwest and Fla. Lanina has faded but still want go away. At one point the weather guesers thought it had gone away like back in december when we got very cold and snowy. But then ITS BACK :(

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive mowed all my accounts here in CT twice and the lawns are already burning. no rain in site through at least the middle of next week. we are 2 inches or more below avg for rainfall.

5. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

lawnguy prediction is also for a hot dry early summer here in CT. A few of my lower maintenance lawns have yet to be mowed, no real rain in two weeks, heck they might just go dormant before they even get off the ground lol.

On the plus side, its been an easy spring so far, no real crazy early growth to deal with as in the past.

6. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I heard an Atlanta GA weather forcaster say just the other night the big dogs had spoke and the 90 day forcast is for BELOW NORMAL rain fall. The fields I have been around the last week have either gone from mud to powder kegs with a few plowings, or are so wet around the edges you have to put the tractor in 4 wheel drive to get out. WIERD!

7. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Texas last summer was a bad drought our lakes got to about 30% full and the city stoped all watering any yards even car washes and charged more for water it still is not that great here our lakes are up now but if we have another summer like last year they will be back down again there was a US Lawns here and they went out of Biz. Hope it's a better summer this year.

8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

yep south west virginia is looking pretty dry we could be in for it some yards look like late july already

9. AVRECON

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

It rained all nite tue and most of wed. and the yards I mowed today were kicking up dust like no rain at all. What the hell gives? Guess we'll all have to pray to the rain gods LOL!

10. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

So far, it's been just right here. We have gotten several 1/2" rains and mostly at night. I hope the trend keeps up all summer.